cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ccna switch sim/vtp configuration

Outlawseven
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, I'm having problems with the sim in the 602-816 exam. It's asking me to configure a switch on a trunk port to another switch which in turn connects to a router.

I'm setting the vtp mode, domain name, ip address on vlan1, default gateway of the routers interface, configured the port to trunk and enabled it. Any suggestions on what I'm missing as the int is showing as down down?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I think you may have misunderstood me.  I was talking about trunk encapsulation.  You will see ARPA as the encapsuation in show interface output.  You would have to configure encapsulation parameters manually if you want to set it.  Here is the command you will need on the trunk (assuming fa0/0 is your trunk port):

int fa0/0

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

Both ends will have to be configured to the same encapsulation and mode for the trunk to negotiate properly.  In a sim, I suspect that the 'show interface fa0/0 switchport' command should be available.  It should help you tremendously in understanding the config.

Message was edited by: Antonio Knox

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Antonio Knox
Level 7
Level 7

You didn't mention an encapsulation (isl or dot1q).  I would make sure to include that.  In the real world, you can get away without it on like a 2950, but in a sim, you probably need it.

Possibly yes as it was it's default ARPA but would that give me a up down state? I did check the other trunk interface and the encapsulTion was also ARPA so would that give me a down down state. The question states that the ip configuration and VTP configuration are correct on the one switch would that include it's encapsulation?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I think you may have misunderstood me.  I was talking about trunk encapsulation.  You will see ARPA as the encapsuation in show interface output.  You would have to configure encapsulation parameters manually if you want to set it.  Here is the command you will need on the trunk (assuming fa0/0 is your trunk port):

int fa0/0

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

Both ends will have to be configured to the same encapsulation and mode for the trunk to negotiate properly.  In a sim, I suspect that the 'show interface fa0/0 switchport' command should be available.  It should help you tremendously in understanding the config.

Message was edited by: Antonio Knox

Thanks Antonio much appreciated

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco