cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCNP study question

Cisco1619
Level 1
Level 1

I am beginning to study for my CCNP exams. I am currently looking for a router for my lab. What is a good choice to study for the exam? Is one router enough or do I need two to study for the exam? My other question is, do all routers have Rip, EIGRP, BGP and OSPF with the base IOS or is this an upgraded IOS to get them? I know while looking for switches, you have to upgrade L3 switches to get EIGRP and OSPF. I am not sure if routers are similar this way. I have not been able to determine this through Google yet.

Thank you for any help!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

3 Replies 3

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

I've got this bookmarked in my PC/iphone.
Hope you'll find it useful:

http://www.certificationkits.com/ccnp-lab-suggestions/

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

shamkuris
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Shannon,

I am also preparing for my CCNP route and i am using GNS3 simulator which is more like a physical router and that perfectly fits for perparing for the exam.. buying a physical router would be expensive.Unlike the swicthes any base IOS will support all the routing protocals.

markeelen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Shannon,
I have just passed my CCNP using my home lab and some classroom time. I decided to go with 4 1841s running IP Services IOS, a 2500 series as a frame relay switch - cant remember which, may be a 2511, it's the one with 8 serial ports. For the switch I used a pair of 3750 as L3 (these will also do private VLANs and HSRP) and a pair of 2950s as access switches. One thing I found really useful was a 2500 series access server, means one console cable and you can switch between each router/switch console - recommend this to anyone who is building a home lab.
With the above set up I was able to lab up pretty much anything on the syllabus, with the exception of VRRP and GLBP, I seem to think these are 4500/6500 series IOSs only??

Hope the above helps.

Cheers
Mark

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card