Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CDP and vPC

Nexus 5k is connected to another Cisco device that also supports vPC but while port on Nexus side belongs to vPC, other side is configured as ordinary trunk port. Will CDP work, i.e. will one device be able to recognize another via Cisco Discovery Protocol?

3 Replies 3

nkarpysh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Yes it will. Non-VPC device will just see two different Nexus switches on each individual port within etherchannel. And if you check CDP for port-channel you will see smth like this:

HTTS-VSS#sh cdp nei po200
Capability Codes: R - Router, T - Trans Bridge, B - Source Route Bridge
                  S - Switch, H - Host, I - IGMP, r - Repeater, P - Phone,
                  D - Remote, C - CVTA, M - Two-port Mac Relay

Device ID        Local Intrfce     Holdtme    Capability  Platform  Port ID
Nexus7010(TBM14159244)
                 Ten 1/5/5         142            R S I C N7K-C7010 Eth 1/2
Nexus7018(TBM14235958)
                 Ten 2/5/5         143             R S C  N7K-C7018 Eth 1/2

I mean CDP is showing to individual links within port-channel and 2 Nexus switches which are VPC peers on the other side.

On VPC peer side you will also see everything correctly.

Nik

HTH,
Niko

Hi Tenaro,

I agree with Nik for Non-VPC capable peers.

But If you are connecting to VPC capable devices make sure that upstream and downstream device are in different VPC domains.

This is crucial for proper L2 functionality.

The domain id is used to create the system MAC address that is used in L2 PDU's (BPDU, LACP PDU, ...)

Thanks,

Ameya Oke

Hi Guys

I have Nexus 2K that is connected to two N5Ks  switches in vPC, Now I have cisco device connected further down to N2K single homed. Now how will CDP work. Should I see both N5Ks in CDP discovery ?

Thanks

Karan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco