cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Certain PC's can't ping copiers on switch?

Andy White
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

Strange one, we have a small LAN in a regional office with a 48 port 2960.  On that switch we have 2 copiers/printers, one is HP one is Xeriox.  Most users can print fine, but there are 4 PC that suddenly can't and they can't ping the printers either.

I ran wireshark and it sends out an arp request, but nothing comes back.  I can ping the printers fine over the WAN.  We've restarted the PC's and copiers/printers with no success.  On the switch the ports show no errors or duplex issues, as I said this was working.  What is strange these PC's cannot ping the CCTV equipment either, but many others are fine and can.

What is strange again is when I ping the copier 172.30.14.10 it doesn't say request timed out, but reply from <IP of PC> destination unreachable?

The switch has 2 VLANs 1 for voice and one for data and the are 2 routers in HSRP, which are running in as a router on a stick with sub interfaces.

one of the PC ports looks like this:

interface FastEthernet0/28
 description EMG LAN
 switchport access vlan 10
 switchport mode access
 switchport voice vlan 62
 spanning-tree portfast
 spanning-tree bpduguard enable
 spanning-tree guard root
end

printer

interface FastEthernet0/33
 description EMG LAN
 switchport access vlan 10
 switchport mode access
 spanning-tree portfast
 spanning-tree bpduguard enable
 spanning-tree guard root
end

The switch can ping the copiers.  When I pinged 172.30.14.0 all the live IPs came back but not the copier or printer.

Saw this message to, I upgraded the firmware weeks ago though:

Mar 10 18:47:43.318: %ILET-1-AUTHENTICATION_FAIL: This Switch may not have been manufactured by Cisco or with Cisco's authorization.  This product may contain software that was copied in violation of Cisco's license terms.  If your use of this product is the cause of a support issue, Cisco may deny operation of the product, support under your warranty or under a Cisco technical support program such as Smartnet.  Please contact Cisco's Technical Assistance Center for more information.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is strange again is when I ping the copier 172.30.14.10 it doesn't say request timed out, but reply from <IP of PC> destination unreachable?

If the PC and the printer are on the same vlan then you will see this message if the PC does not have the printer's mac address and an arp for the mac address does not work.

You would see request timed out if the PC had the mac address and sent an ICMP echo but got no response.

So it sounds like your PCs are clearing their mac addresses for some reason and then they cannot get a response to their arp request.

Note if it is in the same vlan this has nothing to do with the switch mac address table.

Jon

Just found out that is PCs are all in the same area too.  

Just the copier and printer are on the same VLAN.

No idea.  I will get one of them to move their PC to another port that we know works and check back here.

Swapped the network cable with one of the PCs that can't ping the printer and copier and it can now ping, if I move it back it can't again.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card