cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Chain or Ring topology: what is the main advantage of each topology?

Hi,

I have four SG350X Switch and I plan to stack them.
I have seen that I can operate them under a Chain or Ring topology: what is the main advantage of each topology?

He seems that, compared to ring, chain topology is not considered to be very robust, if so, what are the advantages of Chain?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

there is no redundancy in the chain topology, the ring topology can support one inter switch link failure.

So I would recommend the ring topology that is actually similar to the way stacks are interconnected in IOS switches starting from C3750 switches and later models.

See the following document

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-350x-series-stackable-managed-switches/smb5237-chain-and-ring-topologies-on-the-sg550xg-and-sg350xg-switche.html#Stacking_Topologies_Overview

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

there is no redundancy in the chain topology, the ring topology can support one inter switch link failure.

So I would recommend the ring topology that is actually similar to the way stacks are interconnected in IOS switches starting from C3750 switches and later models.

See the following document

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-350x-series-stackable-managed-switches/smb5237-chain-and-ring-topologies-on-the-sg550xg-and-sg350xg-switche.html#Stacking_Topologies_Overview

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I assume you're going to logical stack the four switches (i.e.) so they will operate as one logical device.

With a chain topology, you need one less inter-switch link. However, that "benefit" I believe is outweighed by redundancy (as also noted by Giuseppe) provided by a ring topology. (The ring topology may also provide more bandwidth between switches [as traffic can travel using either ring path] and might also reduce inter-switch transit latency [assuming the switch chooses the ring path with less hops].)

Hi Giuseppe and Joseph

Thank a lot for clarification.

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card