cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing a VLAN to private primary renders it unable to communicate with other switches.

chad patterson
Level 1
Level 1

In a VIRL simulation I have two IOSvL2 switches connected together. Each switch has a VLAN 101 interface, and the ports they are connected to each other on are access ports. If I change the VLAN 101 to primary private, they lose the ability to connect to each other using access ports. This makes no sense to me.

I was under the  impression that primary VLAN of a private VLAN would behave the same as a regular VLAN. But that is not what is going on. 

When both switches are configured with the config of switch1, they can ping each other. When I modify the VLAN 101 on switch2, and make no other changes anywhere else, they can no longer communicate. Can somebody please explain why this is happening?

designdesignconfigconfig

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chad patterson
Level 1
Level 1

I found out the cause of the issue. I was using the vlan interfaces on the switches to ping each other. After setting the vlan to a primary private vlan, I then had to map that to the vlan interfaces on the switches:

deleteme.4.cfg.png

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

chad patterson
Level 1
Level 1

I found out the cause of the issue. I was using the vlan interfaces on the switches to ping each other. After setting the vlan to a primary private vlan, I then had to map that to the vlan interfaces on the switches:

deleteme.4.cfg.png

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card