cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing a VPC peer address on a Cisco Nexus? What are the implications in terms of an outage?

maxwell.n
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

I need to shift the interface used for the VPC peer between 2 of my Nexus Switches to a different interface. I plan to bind a different IP address on the new VPC peer interface on both switches before the change and then during the outage window, just change the "peer-keepalive destination x.x.x.x source x.x.x.x vrf default" line of config.

By making this change, what is the expected result in terms of an outage? Will the VPC relationship be broken momentarily and a spanning tree calculation occur which normally results in a outage which could last around 2 minutes, or is it possible to achieve this without any outage?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Glad it helped you, remember to mark the post as solved if you are satisfied with the answer.

Cheers,

ADP

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ADP_89
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Maxwell,

Changing the keepalive address will not have any impact rather then a log that will say that the keep-alive failed while the 2 devices are not able to ping. This is valid as long as the peer-link is up and stable. Peer-link has an higher weight on detecting if the other switch is live, so as long the peer-link is up nothing will change.

Make sure you use an L3 interface (no-switchport) on both sides to avoid any problems, or you could always use the mngt0 interface if your topology/policies allow it. 

HTH,

ADP

Hi ADP

Thank you very much for your response. This is very helpful information. 

Appreciate it!

Regards

Neal

Glad it helped you, remember to mark the post as solved if you are satisfied with the answer.

Cheers,

ADP

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card