Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing the VLAN number on SVI

Amafsha1
Level 2
Level 2

Hello friends,

I have the following SVI below that is VLAN 1.  This is configured on our Core N9k and trunks out across different switches to serve switchports (switchport access vlan 1).  For security reasons I would like to change VLAN 1 to VLAN 20.   Is this  just as simple as doing a "no int vlan 1" on the cores, then doing "int vlan 20" and copying the same configs, then changing the trunks to accept the new vlan 20 (switchport trunk allowed vlan add 20), then finally changing all the switchports on those switches to now say "switchport access vlan 20"?  I'm trying to figure out if there is anything I'm missing here?  Or is these 3 steps really all it takes...  btw, the IP addresses will stay the same.  

CoreN9k#
interface Vlan1
no ip redirects
ip address 172.7.25.19/24
no ipv6 redirects
ip router eigrp 1
hsrp version 2
hsrp 1
preempt
priority 110
ip 172.7.25.1
no shutdown

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, it should work , you need to change where ever Vlan1 configured.

Like : 

SVI VLAN 1 to VLAN20 (other partner of switch - as per your config you have 2 switches of 9K)

Access ports belong to Vlan1 to VLAN20

Allow VLAN20 in all respected Trunks 

Bare in mind there is a network convergence take place and it causes service interruption, better do it in change window and do it from console always preferred method.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, it should work , you need to change where ever Vlan1 configured.

Like : 

SVI VLAN 1 to VLAN20 (other partner of switch - as per your config you have 2 switches of 9K)

Access ports belong to Vlan1 to VLAN20

Allow VLAN20 in all respected Trunks 

Bare in mind there is a network convergence take place and it causes service interruption, better do it in change window and do it from console always preferred method.

BB

That is correct sir.   The 2 N9ks are vpc peers and yes I have a long maint window available to me to work on this.  I presented a long down time so plenty of service interruption is no worries.

So are my 3 steps accurate?  Do you recommend an order to do this?  such as having the trunks ready before-hand, then changing all the switchports to the new VLAN 20, then final step of changing out the int vlan 1 to 20 on the 2 N9k cores?

Yes correct, hope you have physical access to device in case to mitigate the issues.

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card