cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

channel group question

gavinr98
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a question on channel groups. We currently have 2 channel groups on a cluster, each going to 2 different switches (different floors so we only have the 2 cable runs to each location). We are replacing both the switches, however we want to have the other switches online and working before we cut over to the new switches. We have 2 10GB SFP's on each switch and I was wondering if it was possible to just create a new channel group, remove 1 of the SFP's from each switch and then add them to the new switches, with each channel group having only the 1 port. Is this possible or do you have to have a minimum of 2 ports in a channel group? I don't want to remove the port from the group if it is going to cause any issues.

Thanks,

Gavin

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

GregH.NY
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. You can have just one connection within a channel-group. When you think about it this is one of the things a channel-group is for Redundancy. I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @gavinr98 ,

Is this possible or do you have to have a minimum of 2 ports in a channel group?

The function of a channel-group is to be able to join more than one link to increase the bandwidth, but, yes, you can have only one port per channel-group.

Regards

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

GregH.NY
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. You can have just one connection within a channel-group. When you think about it this is one of the things a channel-group is for Redundancy. I hope this helps.

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @gavinr98 ,

Is this possible or do you have to have a minimum of 2 ports in a channel group?

The function of a channel-group is to be able to join more than one link to increase the bandwidth, but, yes, you can have only one port per channel-group.

Regards

Thank you both, just wanted to make sure as I did not want to have any issues when removing the port from the channel group.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As the other have already noted, yes you can have a single link (which as also noted, is what you're left with in a dual link situation when one link fails).

BTW, I've switched dual independent link to/from Etherchannel, by having at least one independent or one Etherchannel link active. What you're doing, is similar. One thing to keep in mind, STP "hits" when making these kind of changes. With a rapid-STP variant "hits" are of minimal duration. Best, though, to make changes during a maintenance window. (In my case, I was making changes to devices thousands of miles away, so couldn't totally lose on-net access to device.)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card