Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1700 series WICs - Fast Ethernet?

graemeporter
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Cisco 1720; as you may know, it has just one Fast Ethernet port, but two WIC slots where I can add additional interfaces.

I would like to add a second Fast Ethernet port. However, I don't know if Cisco have ever produced a Fast Ethernet WIC that is compatible with the 1700 series.

A dual Fast Ethernet WIC would be ideal, a single Fast Ethernet WIC would be suitable. All I can see though is a 10 Mb Ethernet WIC (WIC-1ENET). Alternatively, would I be able to use the ports on a WIC-4ESW as separate Fast Ethernet interfaces (which I could assign IP addresses to)?

Can anyone help me find what I'm looking for?

Kind regards

Graeme

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Graeme

Cisco 1700 Series supports only WIC-1ENET and doesnt support any ESW modules.

The best possible bet would be to go with upgrading your box to new ISR series ones so that you can have the support for the WIC-4ESW.

You can check this link out for the network modules supported in Cisco 1700 boxes..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html

Do keep in mind that you wont be able to assign ip address to the induvidual ports of the ESW module.

But you can create SVI (VLAN) interfaces with ip address assigned to it and make the port as a member of the SVI interface..

regds

Hi there

Thanks for replying - can you elaborate a little; you said that the 1700 doesn't support any ESW modules - but the link you gave me (thanks; handy link!) says that it does support the WIC-4ESW.

The hint you gave about assigning a VLAN to each port has given me a great starting point though; thanks very much!

Kind regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme

You can refer the below link for the kinda modules supported in Cisco 1720/1721 series routers..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_data_sheet09186a00800920ec.html

regds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco