cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1841 + HWIC-4ESW 1 WAN + 5 LAN port config.

exoshop89
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to configure my Cisco 1841 to have 1 WAN port and 5 LAN port on the same VLAN (to have the same gateway IP). The 1841 comes with 2 ports, so I added the HWIC-4ESW to have 4 additionnal ports. In Cisco SDM, I have no problem setting 1 WAN port (FE0/1) and 1 LAN port (FE0/0) but I cannot find a way to have FE0/0/0, FE0/0/1, FE0/0/2 and FE0/0/3 be on the same VLAN that FE0/0.

Is it possible?

Thanks for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I don't think you can add the built in F0/0 port to a vlan that was created on the hwic switch. The hwic is really like a standalone switch in its functionality . You can check the installation and config notes for the 4 port hwic to verify.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can't add switch ports to the routed port. But you can create a VLAN and assign all 4 switch ports to it. Use the VLAN interface instead of the FE0/0 interface.

Hope that helps.

So I should choose 802.1Q trunking on the routed port to create a VLAN on that one, then assign the 4 switch port to that new VLAN?

Where is actually that VLAN interface? Can't find it in SDM.

Thanks

You will need to create the VLAN- I don't use SDM, but here it is in CLI.

rtr# config t

rtr(config)# interface vlan 1

rtr(config-if)# ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0

rtr(config-if)# no shut

rtr(config-if)# end

Hmmm k! Kindda lost, never used cl interface... But I manage to create 1 VLAN and add my 4 switch port to it. I just can't figure out how to add the FE0/0 to that particular VLAN...

I don't think you can add the built in F0/0 port to a vlan that was created on the hwic switch. The hwic is really like a standalone switch in its functionality . You can check the installation and config notes for the 4 port hwic to verify.

Glen is correct. You can not add the router port (FE0/0) to the VLAN. You will have to use one of the ports on the 4 port switch as an uplink to the rest of your switches.

Thanks guys. This router (for its price) is a huge deception... And its buggy software too...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card