Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 2600 router confreg 1242

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everybody.

I have something to share with guys. I have been saving money to build my ccna voice lab. Recently I bought 2600 and 1700 series routers.

One of the 2600 router needed a password recovery so after a refreshing nap i got to work.

During the password recovery procedure, I mistyped confreg 0x1242; by the time I realized my mistake, my computer screen was full of "C" characters

Now the whole story is i can not console into it.

Is there any solution or should I start using my router as paper weight?

have a nice weekend.

Edit:

After some research, I found If I use the baud rate 1200 in hyperterminal.i will be able to console into it.

When I did that, I noticed that Rommon kept incrementing as:

rommon 1 >

rommon 1 > confreg 0x2142

rommon 2 >

rommon 2 >

rommon 2 >

rommon 2 >

rommon 2 > confreg 0x2142

rommon 3 >

thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Sarah,

The configuration register holds, among others, three bits that specify which speed should the console port operate at. These bits are protected in IOS, meaning that configuring the configuration register using the config-register global configuration command will never touch these three bits. However, in the ROMMON, this protection is not present, and the value specified by the confreg command will be directly stored into the configuration register. If it happens to touch the bits specifying the console port speed, you will immediately become unable to operate the router via the console until you configure your terminal software to the proper speed. This, however, becomes a guesswork if you change the configuration register value inadvertently - as you have experienced yourself.

The following document contains a table explaining the meaning of indvidual bits of the configuration register:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_creg.html

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sarah,

In Rommon mode, the increase of  session number is normal. As Mahmood said, try "reset" at this point.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

From here just typr reset and see what happens.

Thanks

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Sarah,

The configuration register holds, among others, three bits that specify which speed should the console port operate at. These bits are protected in IOS, meaning that configuring the configuration register using the config-register global configuration command will never touch these three bits. However, in the ROMMON, this protection is not present, and the value specified by the confreg command will be directly stored into the configuration register. If it happens to touch the bits specifying the console port speed, you will immediately become unable to operate the router via the console until you configure your terminal software to the proper speed. This, however, becomes a guesswork if you change the configuration register value inadvertently - as you have experienced yourself.

The following document contains a table explaining the meaning of indvidual bits of the configuration register:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_creg.html

Best regards,

Peter

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sarah,

In Rommon mode, the increase of  session number is normal. As Mahmood said, try "reset" at this point.

HTH

Thanks Reza, Peter and mahmood

I finally got it working. The IOS file in flash somehow got corrupted which was the reason why i was getting increasing rommon mode like this:

rommon 1 >

rommon 1 > confreg 0x2142

rommon 2 >

rommon 2 >

rommon 2 >

rommon 2 >

rommon 2 > confreg 0x2142

rommon 3 >

Anyway, I found this link and used Xmodem protocol to transfer the image to flash.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml#download_2620

Router#show flash

System flash directory:

File  Length   Name/status

1   5248524  c2600-i-mz.122-5d.bin

thanks and have a great weekend

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card