cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2900 Catalyst switch

dipak3254176
Level 1
Level 1

We have multiple cisco cat 2900 switches. all switches dont have cascade cable port in back panel. i want some sort of solution to manage those switch remotely. any suggestion guys??

9 Replies 9

Which 2900 series switches are you using? We have several customers who have 2900 series switches and they all have console cables on the back. If you want to remotely manage your switches, just make sure you have a mangement IP address, and setup a default gateway on the switch, so you can manage them from remote subnets.

For Example:

SwitchA(2900)

int vlan x

ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

ip default-gateway x.x.x.x (Where x.x.x.x is your default gateway)

Thanks Hitesh and John for your post.

sicne my client switches are in vtp client mode i cannot crete a vlan and since its layer 2 switch we cannot assign ip to interface.

my switch model is cisco WS-C2960-48TT-L. can it is possble to use software like VMS for this switches. if yes than from where do i donnload software

Dipak

So have you verified the 1 SVI you are given is shutdown?

>>its layer 2 switch we cannot assign ip to interface.

You can have atleast one SVI.

Jimmy is right dijak. You can have one IP address assigned t'o an SVI on a L2 switch. You can run the following command 'show int vlan x' x would be the vlan number. If it's administratively shutdown, you will need to do a 'shut' 'no shut' on it to be up/up.

sicne my client switches are in vtp client mode i cannot crete a vlan and since its layer 2 switch we cannot assign ip to interface.

Why not put the switch into VTP Transparent mode?

Thank you all for reply.

yes we can create multiple vlan using transparent mode. if i'm not making mitsake that i have to create vlan in every switch, rather than creating a vlan on each switch i preferred to use switch clustering. so i can manage all switches from single place. can it is possible to use some sort of graphical software to manage the switches like Cisco ASA software??

I believe you can use Cisco Network Assistant or whatever that softare is. I would obviously prefer to manage switches/routers through a CLI.

Warren.Arthur
Level 1
Level 1

Better to manage ios switches through CLI, in my opinion also.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card