Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 2900 HWIC and QOS

HI, I am using a cisco 2900 Router with two HWIC 4 port switch modules, I had it up with a few vlans, and every thing is working well so far.

the router is trunked to another cisco layer 2 switch. 

Now, we are looking at implementing a policy based on vlan's so that one vlan traffic is prioritised over the other when the available bandwidth

reaches certain low, otherwise everyone gets a fair share.  how do I or can i go about implementing such thing bandwidth management on this device.

thanks.

7 Replies 7

LJ Gabrillo
Level 5
Level 5

Use PBR :D

There are multiple uses of PBR especially in QoS traffic e.g., direct http, https traffic to this link, while the rest to this link. another example is if you have VPN tunnels you can tell the traffic if its data traffic go to this link, if its VoIP go to this link and so on and so fort

Additional note, consider using IP-SLA as well as tracking when configuring your PBR, you will surely need it e.g., you have currently 2 active links, if 1 link fails, traffic on that link fails to the remaining one. PBR tends to NOT do this automatically since you need to define parameters so it can do it, and you can do that using IP-SLA and tracking :D

Here's a good example document you can base this on: HERE

PS: PBR setting depends on you, the more complicated you want your traffic behavior is, the more complicated your configuration is. If you are ever asking what is the common deployment of PBR, and does it involve IP-SLA/tracking all the time. The answer to that is,  common deployment is protocol based PBR, and almost always IP-SLA/tracking is used

I would really like to stress out that IP-SLA/tracking is a must most especially because you always would want your current traffic on WAN1 to go to WAN2 if it ever goes down

Lastly, be very careful on configuring PBR, if you mess up, you could have a major downtime on your network, additionally, you might send traffic to interfaces w/c is not designated for traffic. Just be careful :D

Though if ever you do mess up, don't fret, just remove the interface configuration (no need to delete everything) and everything should go back to normal. Now, review your config (you can review it since we didnt delete the PBR statements) and if your super sure, then configure it again 

Rate or Mark as Answer for helpful posts :)

Note that PBR tends to be a fixed behavior.

If you want dynamic behavior(w/c I actually just found out that you need after reading again your posts) use QoS Policies (Policy-Map and Class-Map)

Guide is: HERE

With regards to your requirement, you may want to deploy parent-child QoS Policy

Thank you Gabrillo, that's enough stuff to read for this week during my commute to and from work. I have  an active vpn with a policy map set. allowing only certain vlan traffic to reach VPN. we only have one default route to the isp gateway, should look at implementing the qos on the wan interface, so that, one vlan users don't use the resources overwhelmingly and cause bandwidth outtages for others.

Thank you once again, shall certainly read all the links suggested. 

No Problem.

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You should not ask in random communities with no relationship to the topic of question.

Regardless you got the response, use blue [ EDIT ] button on top to move it to LAN, Switching and Routing

It will allow other

1. experts to advice you
  2. users to discover this thread and learn from it

Thank you.

The forum categories are unclear for any one new, it doesn't show sub categories as a b tree to

identify the right one. May be look at moderating that. thanks for the advice..!!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card