cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2901 Redundancy

raulserna10
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I'm new in the forum and new in the Cisco world too. I hope you can help me.

I will work with two C2901 in one station that comunicates with the other end using fiber (each one uses EHWIC-1GE-SFP-CU with a GLC-ZX-SM=
Mini GBIC).

I need one as the main unit and the other one as a back-up (stand-by) unit. What I'm trying to do is switch between the devices when the fiber links fails? What connections do I need to do, and how can I configure them?

Any idea will be helpful. Hope you can guide me in this 

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

To clarify  these 2901 are some distance from one another as you are using a GLC-ZX-SM SFP

so is one site a backup to the other, is there any other way they can communicate if the fibre fails?

Hello.

Yes, the distance between the two sites is 60 km. The only way to communicate both ends is fiber, but each fiber cable is independent from the other. The links reach the same site, but using different paths.

I hope I made my self clear

Thanks in advance

so two independent links using different paths, therefore very unlikely that both paths would go down at the same time.

I assume the Vlans go across the sites So I would use HSRP between the 2901s tracking the fibre links so then changing the gateway router as required.

Indeed, HSRP is what I am studying right now. I'll let you know if something comes up during the configuration. Thank you very much for your help Richard. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card