cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2911 and sm-es3g-16-p switch module

contsystems
Level 1
Level 1

Can somebody shed a bit of light on how this switch module works in 2911 router?

I have two 2911 routers in HSRP configuration for redundancy with crossover cable between switch modules. OSPF running on routers.

If active router loses its power and then comes back again, it boots first, its internal link to switch module comes up and it starts to forward packets to switch module. The switch module starts to boot only after router is ready. So I have outage of about 3-4 minutes. For our real-time applications it is way too long.

Is there any way to start booting of the switch module before router gets ready?

I understand I can boot it manually, but it is only after router is ready.

Only way to get around it I found is to disable internal link and use router interface to connect to the switch module.

Any more elegant ideas?

Regards/AlexM

1 Reply 1

It is not possible to get the switch up and be ready to send packets if the link interface on the router that goes to the switch is not up yet,it  is necessary to wait a couple of minutes while the router boots and gets the interfaces up.

If this answer was satisfactory for you, please mark the question as Answered.
Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card