Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 2960 to HP procurve switch communication

yogesh1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have cisco devices network environment in production i have to add one HP switch to Cisco  layer 2 2960 switch for extended LAN service  so please suggest what changes i need to done on both end.

1> cisco switch port i need to make trunk & allowed vlan all & also we need to run encapsulation dot1q ?

2>HP side how can we made port trunk & how can we pass vtp domain name, vtp password , vtp client mode , management ip ?

3> please suggest if something else is also required.

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Yogesh,

1> cisco switch port i need to make trunk & allowed vlan all & also we need to run encapsulation dot1q ?

Yes, that would be the typical configuration. I assume that you want to extend the VLANs from your Catalyst2960 to the HP switch, so the trunk is the proper way to interconnect these switches.

On Catalyst2960, dot1q is the only supported encapsulation (ISL is not supported there), so as soon as you configure switchport mode trunk on a port, you get the dot1q right away.

2>HP side how can we made port trunk & how can we pass vtp domain name, vtp password , vtp client mode , management ip ?

I cannot comment on specifics of HP switch configuration, but I can share a few points from my previous experience:

• HP switches does not support VTP. They will forward any VTP messages through their ports just like any other multicast traffic (since VTP messages are sent as Layer2 multicast frames), but they will not learn VLANs from these VTP messages. All changes to the VLAN database will need to be made on the HP switch manually.
  • For the way of configuring the management IP address and the default gateway on a HP switch, you will need to consult the documentation for that particular switch type.
  • From what I remember, HP switches do not have a concept of a "trunk" port. Instead, in the VLAN configuration, you specify which ports are tagged and which ports are untagged. Creating a trunk on HP therefore means adding the port as a tagged port to every VLAN you want to carry on that trunk.
  • When reading through the HP documentation, be careful since they use the word "trunk" differently.

Cisco meaning: Trunk port is a port carrying tagged frames for multiple VLANs
    HP meaning: Trunk port is a Link Aggregation Group (an EtherChannel, if you will)

Best regards,
Peter

jkilleda
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Yogesh,

cisco 2960 to HP procurve switch communication

2960 won't accept the command "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q" because their default is already dot1q

When connecting trunk port to the client you need to also use the commands

storm-control broadcast level 20.00

storm-control action trap

spanning-tree bpdufilter enable

spanning-tree guard root

If the original poster is connecting his Cisco switch to a HP switch is it not likely that the HP switch might send spanning tree BPDU? If you enable bpdufilter is it not going to put that interface into error disabled state?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card