Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960-X Layer 3 Switch?

zakfleming1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have noticed that our Cisco 2960-X switches have the IP Routing command. I was wondering how good of a layer 3 switch these are please? Does anyone use them as a Layer 3 switch at all please?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I know this is old but there are many of the same features available in a 2960x as the less expensive SMB switches like the sg300 series switches. This depends on your data requirements of course. Just because it's remote doesn't mean it's small or has less data traversal. But, the Cisco SMB switches offer a "big bang for the buck" and offer the basic layer 3 options as well in the 300 and 500 series. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

jrusnak2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The cisco 2960 series is considered to have layer 2+ functionality, as it demonstrates some routing abilities without being robust enough to handle the same as a 3560 or 3750

The cisco 2960-X does have limited layer 3 routing capability. Simply, it only supports a limited number of static or default routes.

The 2960-XR uses something called IP-Lite and supports dynamic routing (RIP and partial OSPF), but is still very limited in its layer 3 functionality. 

For more information, you may refer to this presentation (no longer available on the cisco website, but archived in the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine):

https://web.archive.org/web/20121203165746/http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/prod_presentation_c97-494780.pdf

and this discussion earlier from the forums:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12074901/2960-x-l3

For more general information on the switch series:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-2960-x-series-switches/index.html

Thanks.

For a small branch office with a small amount of devices where we would want to separate IP phones into 2 vlans would you use the 2960-X as a L3 switch please?

Thanks

I can't offer any real recommendations, as I haven't worked with these models of switches, and I'm not sure of the specifics of your office, user-base, or plans to scale the network.

However, the documentation that I linked above does seem to indicate that the 2960-X would be able to support 2 VLANs of IP phones.

If you purchased a Cisco support contract with these phones, I might suggest contacting your advanced services team for design assistance and functionality specifications in that area.

Thanks, Its just all theoretical. Was just wondering how it could be used in real life :)

I know this is old but there are many of the same features available in a 2960x as the less expensive SMB switches like the sg300 series switches. This depends on your data requirements of course. Just because it's remote doesn't mean it's small or has less data traversal. But, the Cisco SMB switches offer a "big bang for the buck" and offer the basic layer 3 options as well in the 300 and 500 series. 

hi, i am using this switch for a medium office set up.. i have stacked 2 2960-x and added some vlans l3 configured and i need to connect it to a 2900 router can i give an uplink to thr router from this switch assign same range ip's between router and switch then configure static routes for the vlans right? so that the router has got all the vlans inside it.. 

Yes. The ip addresses you have on the 2960x are to login the switch. Do not use duplicate ip addresses anywhere. The ip addresses on the router will be the addresses used as the gateways and to access the router simultaneously (if not blocked).

Look up the term "router on a stick" to learn more. YouTube should have a few videos or look in a CCNA book. It's taught in CCNA. You may need a network professional to set this up for you. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: