cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960G 48 Port Switch Fan Issues?

Smack2k
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2960G-48 Port Switch I am planning to use in my home network for various VLANs / etc...

Powering the Switch on, I have the Orange Syst Light and getting Fan Faulty and Abnormal System Temperature errors during Boot of the Switch as well as when checking show env fan / temperature.

Strange thing is that the only fan in the switch is running at what looks like normal / fast speed.  I took the cover off the switch and booted it again, same loading process and same errors but I can see the fan running and feel ample air coming out of the fan exhaust in the back of the unit...

What could be my issue here?  Could those errors be false positives?  Is there something I can check / do to see if the errors are legit?  Just find it strange that the fan is running but getting a faulty fan / abnormal temp error with the cover on and off....

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Upgrade the firmware.

The fan could be running in low RPM which can generate the error message.

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
Yes could be false positive i know some of my switches do the same with the PSUs , say there not connected but they are when i check all green , thats a well known caveat with PSUs in some ios-xe devices , you could upgrade the software see if it goes away since you already confirmed its working by opening it up , only real other solution is get spare fan off ebay or somewhere and replace it but i would try the software change first

Thanks, I will give the software a shot first....

The fan is running pretty fast, so I dont think the RPMs are the issue..

Is there a sensor in the switch somewhere that could be dirty / unhooked?

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It is a 3-wire fan, so it could be a fault sensor in the fan unit.

If you have a (any) spare known working 3-wire fan you could temporarily connect it on the bench and see if IOS still reports the error.

If it does then like the others had said upgrade the IOS, if the error goes away, replace the fan with the correct unit.

cheers,

Seb.

Upgraded the iOS and still get the errors

Tried a random 3 wire fan I had and it did not spin at all when plugged into the switch

issue could be on the board side :(
you could run the show tech through the Cisco cli analyzer i know it picks up hardware faults , honestly not sure about fans though
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card