Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960s Console Problem

sslackjcb
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I have a 4 Cisco 2960s in a stack. I'm trying to use a console cable to connect to the switches and i am failing miserably. I have connected to the switches via telnet and the speed on the line con 0 was set to 115200. I think this was done on installation by a third party company we used. So i changed it to 9600 like the rest of our switches and i still can't connect.

Any ideas why? is there a way to reset the console interface to default? I have also noticed noise on the console port (see below)

jc-l2s-0101-001#show line console 0
   Tty Typ     Tx/Rx    A Modem  Roty AccO AccI   Uses   Noise  Overruns   Int
     0 CTY              -    -      -    -    -      0      14     0/0       -

Is this normal?

4 Replies 4

Shashank Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Steve,

Console speed can be changed from rommon (switch: set BAUD ) or from CLI (line console 0, speed ). Have you tried connecting with baud rates of both 9600 as well as 115200 and are still unable to connect? Have you tried a different console cable and a PC for this?

Regards,

Shashank

Please rate this answer if you found the content useful

Yes  i have..

When i connect with both ends at speed 115200, my characters that i enter turn into a series of hashes and other characters like $^*%(^*$%(*$*&$^(*^

I've tried a different cable and a different laptop.

After changing the console settings using CLI, did you try rebooting the switch and see it it auto negoatiates the baud rate at 9600?

Its worth giving a shot, just rebooting the switch after defaulting the config under line con 0 and let it re-intilaize everything.

Cheers,

-as

Hi Steve,

Sounds like a hardware issue to me. Do all the switches in the stack have this problem?

Regards,

Shashank

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card