cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3640 fa 1/0 connected to a Cisco 6509 gig port

dpatkins
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to bring back up a Cisco 3640 router. Fa1/0 is connected to gig card (6748) on a 6500. 

Config on Gig port 1/47:

Current configuration : 156 bytes

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/47

description CR3640

switchport

switchport mode access

switchport nonegotiate

no keepalive

speed 100

duplex full

end

Config on fa1/0:

Current configuration : 158 bytes

!

interface FastEthernet1/0

description To Cisco 6509

ip address 129.111.99.18 255.255.255.192

no ip mroute-cache

no keepalive

speed 100

full-duplex

I was not sure if I need the non-negotiate on the gig port. 

If I add speed and duplex to the gig port, port and line protocol show down/down.  If I remove it, it is up and up and the port is up but line protocol shows up but I think it is because I removed keepalives. 

Any ideas?

Thank you

4 Replies 4

mfurnival
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

"switchport nonegotiate" refers to DTP (Dynamic Trunking Protocol) which is not relevant in this scenario. It sounds from what you have said that the issue might be to do with speed and duplex negotation. It might be a silly question but do you realise that you cannot set the gig side to "speed 1000" because your router port can only run at "speed 100" because it is fastethernet?

When I configure each port to full 100, I lose layer 2 on the router.  Isn't their a non-negotiate I can configure on the 6500. The show interface will alway show the port a half/10 when in auto negotiate.

Yes mfurnival, I do realize I cannot configure "speed 1000" on the gig side. . I apprecaite the response.

Do you realize that your old 3640 won't be able to push 50 Mbps of data? So I guess this you put you configure your router's speed is irrelevant. :)

Don't remember the exact speed but I remember seeing to be very low. It doesn't matter what NM you attach in the router.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Base on this document, the 3640 won't go higher than 25.6 Mbps.

So you can stick a NM-1GE module but you won't go anywhere near 100 Mbps. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco