cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3650 - 3.5.3E to Gilbraltar 16 (Recommendations)

Hi all,

Hope you can help me

I need to update several 3650 24TS that comprise the core network of an important costumer and all of this switches are running the version 3.7.3E. The latest IOS version available is the Gilbraltar 16. From the version 3 till this one it's alot of versions ahead... I tried putting the 16 version on test switch and after loading with the config it gave lot's of syntax errors in some descriptions and encripted several names (servers) and elevated some passwords. When seeing this I went a step back and decided that probably it's best to upgrade to the latest version of the software train the version 3.7.5.

What's your opinion? Shall I go to the 3.7.5 or the latest available? What do you recommend?

Thank you  

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I'd go with 16.9.5 or 16.12.3a.
NOTE: Make sure to upgrade using Install Mode.

View solution in original post

software clean force

Use the above command to clean the flash of the switch before copying the firmware into the switch. 

Once the firmware has been copied into the flash, use the command (below) to unpack the firmware into install mode:

software install file flash:<FILENAME.bin> new force verbose on-reboot

After the file has been successfully unpacked, verify by using the command below

more flash:packages.conf | b for NOVA

The versions on the right-hand side should be the same version you're planning to go to. 

Once this checks out the final step is to change the boot variable string to point to the "packages.conf" file

conf t
 no boot system switch all
 boot system flash bootflash:packages.conf
end
wr

After that, reboot the switch.

WARNING:  Upgrading from 3.X.X to 16.X.X requires an automatic microcode/bootstrap upgrade.  Do not be alarmed if this process will take around 28 minutes.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

16.12.3a is recommended by Cisco but we use Denali cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.03.07.SPA.bin and have not had any issues with it.

Regardless of what version you want to use, make sure to read the release notes very carefully.

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I'd go with 16.9.5 or 16.12.3a.
NOTE: Make sure to upgrade using Install Mode.

Thank you all for the reply. 

Just one doubt regarding install mode, the flash doesn't hold enough memory to keep the files of the old version while updating to the new one using install. Can I delete all the old files from flash while on the 3.5.3E and then update to the 16 using install mode? My fear is, if something goes wrong not to have anything in flash to immediately reverto to... 

software clean force

Use the above command to clean the flash of the switch before copying the firmware into the switch. 

Once the firmware has been copied into the flash, use the command (below) to unpack the firmware into install mode:

software install file flash:<FILENAME.bin> new force verbose on-reboot

After the file has been successfully unpacked, verify by using the command below

more flash:packages.conf | b for NOVA

The versions on the right-hand side should be the same version you're planning to go to. 

Once this checks out the final step is to change the boot variable string to point to the "packages.conf" file

conf t
 no boot system switch all
 boot system flash bootflash:packages.conf
end
wr

After that, reboot the switch.

WARNING:  Upgrading from 3.X.X to 16.X.X requires an automatic microcode/bootstrap upgrade.  Do not be alarmed if this process will take around 28 minutes.

Thank you very much Leo! Extremely helpful

Already update one switch and all is good. That switch took 8 minutes to boot up. 

Only 20 more to go...

Good to hear the process is successful.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card