cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3650 log shows Line protocol bouncing on a port not connected to any device

hemantpatel
Level 1
Level 1

I have a  WS-C3650-48TS running on IOS ver 16.6.7.

I have seen log entries like following for the interfaces where no device is connected.

I have seen similar logs entries for interface Gi1/013 & Gi1/0/14.

There are no other log entries other than the line protocol up/down so nothing else is going on.

Log Entries:

*Dec 23 11:17:30: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/16, changed state to up
*Dec 23 11:17:32: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/16, changed state to down
*Dec 24 19:25:56: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/16, changed state to up
*Dec 24 19:25:59: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/16, changed state to down

Interface config:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/13
switchport access vlan 30
end

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/14
switchport access vlan 2

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/16
switchport access vlan 2

Any thoughts?

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Could it that the devices connected to these ports go offline or to sleep?

Also, you may have a speed/duplex mismatch between the devices and the switch ports.

HTH

Reza,

There is no device connected on the ports where we see  the line protocol bouncing.

Hi,

As also Leo said, this is most likely a bug. I also recommend opening a ticket with Cisco as they may know the exact bug id.

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@hemantpatel wrote:

I have seen log entries like following for the interfaces where no device is connected.

This is "a very known issue" (aka "a bug") with IOS-XE.  It is not only affects 3650/3850 but all Catalyst 9k switches. 

There are several Bug IDs, however, the only workaround is a cold reboot (pull the power cable) of the switch or stack.

@Leo Laohoo 

I had rebooted the switch with the reload command but it not did help. I will have to arrange physical help at data center to do the cold reboot.

I would appreciate if you can share bug-id or any phrase which I can use to find more details on the bug.

I cannot find the Bug ID but these Bug IDs are very similar:  CSCvc26787 or CSCvg34034. 

NOTE:  
Due to the current "gone to the dogs" state of software quality control, I am refraining from my usual recommendation of "upgrade the firmware".

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card