Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3650 with IP Base image support RIP v2

sugatada9
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys,

can someone tell me if Cisco 3650 with IP base image supports RIP Version 2 or not?

9 Replies 9

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

From the datasheet: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3650-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-729449.html

IP unicast routing protocols (static, Routing Information Protocol Version 1 [RIPv1], and RIPv2, RIPng, Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol [EIGRP] stub) are supported for small-network routing applications with the IP Base feature set.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron,

thanks for reply. I guess for RIP version 2 we need IP services (Enhanced Multilayer Image). The IP base image or Standard Multilayer Image will not support RIP version2. What do you say?

For these switches the feature is not based on the IOS image, it is based on the license you have on the switch.  As long as you have IP Base license, you can use RIP version 2. 

try

"sh license right to use"on your switch.

HTH

Hi Reza,

this is great to know. So what you say is I don't have to buy the IP Services Enhanced Multilayer Image (EMI) if the requirement is only to run RIP V2. So my question is I only need to order License for RIP V2 with IP Base image when I am ordering the switch with Cisco?

Hi,

There is no such thing as EMI image anymore. 

When you order a new 3560-X switch, you have 2 options

1-Order IP Base license.  This will give you RIP V2

2-Order IP Services license. This will give you everything including OSPF, BGP, etc..

HTH

Thank you Reza for this clarification. I saw Cisco 3560E is End of Life. I guess 3560-X is not?

Hi Reza,

I am talking about Cisco 3650 switch which is stackable; and you have referred Cisco 3560-X. I think we are talking about 2 different product. Can you please comment?

Erm... I think that quote explains it quite clearly.

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron,

you see Reza has answered that I don't have to buy IP services Enhanced Multilayer Engine. In place of that I need to order License to use RIP V2 along with the IP Base image when I will order the switch. Do you also agree with this view?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card