Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3750 2960 Switch Port Bandwidth ?

paul dungey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two switches 3750 and 2960 switch in a production plant environment i neet to be able to configure one of the ports on each of the switchs to limit bandwidth from 100 MB to 10MB, Ive seen the configration files on how this is done, if and when this configuration is done what impact if any will happen to the production switches, just taking a precautionary step incase anything should go wrong, could you advise the best way forward.

Thanks

Paul

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Changing the port from 100 to 10 should not have an effect on switches, but if the device connecting to these switches is in production, you may want to change the port setting during a maintenance window just in case the device is disconnected.

HTH

Paul,

I assume the interface settings is speed auto, duplex auto. You need to change both ends of the link to speed 10, duplex full you will loose connection for a few seconds while the link re-negotiates. So as Reza says do it in a maintenance window, or production down time.

HTH

Richard

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi,I have two switches 3750 and 2960 switch in a production plant environment i neet to be able to configure one of the ports on each of the switchs to limit bandwidth from 100 MB to 10MB, Ive seen the configration files on how this is done, if and when this configuration is done what impact if any will happen to the production switches, just taking a precautionary step incase anything should go wrong, could you advise the best way forward.Thanks
Paul

Hello Paul,

See when you do change in duplex and speed in switch port , The device which is connected at the other end will do negotiate to settlled down in configure speed and duplex setting of switch which may lead in disrupption of traffic during that time.

Better is to do in out of buisness hours if the connected devices are really high end production services which can't lead any outage.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate if it Helps..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card