Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 3750 series stackwise!

Srin_G
Level 3
Level 3

G'day guys,

is there a document that explains the compatibility of 3750 series that can be stacked together? for example can we stack 3750-x with 3750-v2 without the power sharing? Can we stack a L3 3750 with L2 3750 without upgrading the L2 switch IOS to ipservices?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Srini,

A switch stack is a set of up to nine stacking-capable switches connected through their StackWise Plus or StackWise ports. You can connect only one switch type in a stack, or you can connect a mix of Catalyst 3750-X, Catalyst 3750-E, and Catalyst 3750 switches in the stack. Catalyst 3750-X and Catalyst 3750-E stack members have StackWise Plus ports, and Catalyst 3750 members have StackWise ports. The stack can have one of these configurations:

• Homogeneous stack—A Catalyst 3750-E-only stack with only Catalyst 3750-E switches as stack members or a Catalyst 3750-X-only stack with only Catalyst 3750-X switches as stack members.
  • Mixed stack

Note:

Mixed stacks are not supported with switches running the LAN base feature set.

• A mixed hardware stack with a mixture of Catalyst 3750-X, Catalyst 3750-E, and 3750 switches as stack members.

For example, a stack with Catalyst 3750-X and 3750 switches supporting the IP services features.

• A mixed software stack with only Catalyst 3750-X, only Catalyst 3750-E, or only Catalyst 3750 switches supporting different features as stack members.

For example, a Catalyst 3750-X-only stack with some members running the IP base feature set, other

members running the IP services feature set, and the remaining members running the IP services feature set

• A mixed hardware and software stack with Catalyst 3750-X, Catalyst 3750-E, and Catalyst 3750 switches supporting different features as stack members.
  • If a switch running the IP services feature set has a higher priority than the switch running the IP base feature set

and incase If the ip-services licensed switch fail then you have a master who is then not ip-services but only ip-          base and some features are no longer available and some stuff breaks

Refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1223384

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

Thanks Aru and Joseph,

couple of clarifications mate:

You mean if i stack a 3750-v2 (L3 ipservices) + 3750-v2 (L2 IP base) it should work when i set the master switch higher priority without upgrading the IP base to IP services? I know if L3 fails it will lose the routing part which is fine with me. Its the licensing part i am concerned.

Also stacking 3750x + 3750 + 3750-e (mixed hardware and software) with anyone of the switches running ipservices and rest IPbase. Will it work with configuring higher priority on the master? or is there a check with the IOS version that has to be upgraded/downgraded in a specific hardware inorder to achieve this?

Also Aru, can you please shed a bit of light on your below comment!

Note:

Mixed stacks are not supported with switches running the LAN base feature set.

Hi Srini,

What i was trying to say is "Switch stacks running the LAN base feature set do not support Layer 3 features

In a switch stacks running the LAN base feature set, all switches in the stack must run the LAN base feature set and hence Mixed stackes are not supported with switches running the LAN base features set"

This the limitation.

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You mean if i stack a 3750-v2 (L3 ipservices) + 3750-v2 (L2 IP base) it should work when i set the master switch higher priority without upgrading the IP base to IP services?

As far a I know, that's correct.  Actually you shouldn't need to set master priority, the IP Service feature set gets an election priority boost.  (Again, I've done exactly this, although to be precise on the original 3750 series, not the V2s, but I believe they're the same.)

Also stacking 3750x + 3750 + 3750-e (mixed hardware and software) with anyone of the switches running ipservices and rest IPbase. Will it work with configuring higher priority on the master? or is there a check with the IOS version that has to be upgraded/downgraded in a specific hardware inorder to achieve this?

IOS versions, in a stack, should always match.  Again, with the Es and Xs, they have license files, and I'm not current on all their member requirements, especially with non-E/X stack members.  I think Es and Xs, in the same stack require the same license, and if they are Services licensed they may work with non-E/X member(s) with IP Base image.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

is there a document that explains the compatibility of 3750 series that can be stacked together? for example can we stack 3750-x with 3750-v2 without the power sharing? Can we stack a L3 3750 with L2 3750 without upgrading the L2 switch IOS to ipservices?

Unsure there's one document that explains compatibility of stacking different 3750s, but I believe any 3750 model can be stacked together.  However, you can run into some limitations.  For example, the 3750-12S supports SDM templates unsupported by other original 3750 models, so if you mix them in a stack, you lose the -12S' extra SDM capabilities.  Or, if you stack StackWise and StackWisePlus units, the stack ring operates in StackWise mode, losing the Plus features.

Yes, you can stack 3750-X and 3750-v2 without power sharing.  Likely, you might be even able to still power share between the 3750-X stack members, as you might between different power groups in a pure 3750-X stack.

Yes, you can stack a L3 3750 with a L2 3750 (I've done this).  In the original models, a boot election will prefer the L3 image.  One issue, if there's only one L3 3750 in the stack, and it fails, the stack reverts to L2.  It's also a bit of a pain to upgrade a mixed L3/L2 stack, as to not violate licensing on the L2 3750(s).  In the 3750E/3750X models, I think all the stack members actually require the same license.  If that's true, unsure about original 3750s in the same stack.

Thanks mate.

I will test it out in my lab regarding 3750E/3750X models.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
can we stack 3750-x with 3750-v2 without the power sharing?     

Yes, as long as the entire stack is running the same IOS version and the same Feature Set.

Can we stack a L3 3750 with L2 3750 without upgrading the L2 switch IOS to ipservices?

No you can't because during if the switch with IP Services fail, anything that requires Layer 3 will not work with the second unit because it's not running Layer 3 feature set.  This is the logic behind this "madness".

Yeah i understand the logic behind that is madness mate, but intelligent management wants to see if they can save money from buying couple of SFP's

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card