Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 3750G 8 port switch no entering of enable password

lvangent
Level 1
Level 1

I have a interesting problem

8 port cisco 3750G switch, access with SSH from core switch 6509E. direect access from MacOS no go because of old SSH security protocol.

When I try to enable privilege mode there is a problem

typing "enable" <enter>, this will lockout terminal input until the enable password has a timeout.

it gets worse, from the 6 3750G 8 port switches, 3 have this problem.

Has anyone experienced this ? Any solution? 

thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I presume the ssh from the 6509 may have limited capabilities too, I would advice a  'stronger' ssh-client, try for instance from a linux box.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

- I would give it a try anyway, see what happens, if errors seen, post here.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I presume the ssh from the 6509 may have limited capabilities too, I would advice a  'stronger' ssh-client, try for instance from a linux box.

M.

thank you for your reply but Cisco release 12.2 only supports "old" ssh security.

- I would give it a try anyway, see what happens, if errors seen, post here.

M.

hi Marce1000,

I managed to get putty installed locally and despite the warning on SSH encryption being depreciated I managed to get into the switch and was able to issue the enable + password command.

It seemed that trying ssh from several other switches in that network they all locked up.

Thank you all for your support

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What firmware are the switches running on?

release is:

Cisco IOS Software, C3750 Software (C3750-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(37)SE, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Mohsin Alam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

make a username with priv 15 and you won't need to enter enable password  

## Make sure to mark post as helpful, If it resolved your issue. ##

## Make sure to mark post as helpful, If it resolved your issue. ##

thank you for your reply but to setup private 15 access I first have to get into these switches in Enable mode which does not work because I cannot enter /paste the enable password.

Wow, 12.2(37)SE.  

Check the logs and see if there are any duplicate IP addresses errors.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One to mitigate the issue, user has 15 priv can fix the issue, if the user has other priv - then what is the ssh version running on switch ?

show ip ssh give you information.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

sorry but I took over remote management of these switches and only one account exists

SW05#sho ip ssh
SSH Enabled - version 1.99
Authentication timeout: 120 secs; Authentication retries: 3

I can only access these switches remotely as I'm not physically in the same location as these switches

what priv level that user ?

can you post show run 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi, thank you for your feedback

I wish I knew as without getting into enable mode you cannot run this command.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: