Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3750X does not boot IOS 15.2

I have 2 stacked C3750X-24T-E switches, I was able to downgrade to 12.2.55-SE13 version and upgrade to 15.0.2-SE12 version, but when I try to upgrade to any 15.2 version including 15.2.4E8 and 15.2.4E9 switch just does not boot,
If it has older IOS on flash, on second attempt it boots old bin file, if I delete old IOS image 2 switches tries twice to boot 15.2 image and fails with this message and goes to rommon mode.

Boot process failed...

The system is unable to boot automatically.  The BOOT
environment variable needs to be set to a bootable
image.

I have tried upgrading with "archive download-sw" command and by just copying bin file to flash I always get same result.
in attaches picture failed attempt with old IOS image on flash.

p.s. I have C3KX-SM-10G modules Installed on switches. During upgrades I upgrade module software too, and also tried removing modules but result is the same.

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I want to see the entire boot-up process and up to the point where the switch refuses to load the IOS.

attached file is the full boot process of the scenario where no other IOS image present on switch flash.

Raise a TAC Case and organize for an RMA.
Explanation: There is a component that is "refusing" to load the firmware. Because the 3750X-line is already EoS/EoL, the developers are no longer interested in knocking up a fix. The only way is to RMA the appliance.

- According to this link it should run :
              https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/15-2_4_e/releasenotes/rn-1524e-3750x3560x.html#pgfId-84866

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

- A possible cause could be that the intended image was not correctly loaded on the flash or got corrupted. You could install a working version and then have a look at the flash and check/verify  the any/ new loaded-image with the md5sum:filename command before changing a boot variable and booting it.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

images pass md5 verification and exactly match with sum from Cisco download site.

>images pass md5 verification and exactly match with sum from Cisco download site

- Does this also include after they have been installed on the flash  (and or are ready for being booted)?

M.

MD5 hash has nothing to do with why the switch is refusing to boot.
Contact Cisco TAC and organize for an RMA.

steffenmoser
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ArmanKhachatrya,

I just came across your posting from January of this year. I've been running into a similar (or the same) problem when trying to upgrade my IPBase WS-C3750X-24P from IOS 15.0.2-SE12 to IOS 15.2.4E10. It seems that 15.2.1E3 is the latest version that runs on my switch. All newer versions I tried (beginning with 15.2.2E) lead to the same behavior as described in your posting.

My switch is not part of a stack, it has a permanent IPBase license. "show version" lists the "Version ID" as "V06" and the "Hardware Board Revision Number" as "0x05". The "Model Revision Number" is "A0".

My question is: What was the solution to your problem?

I would be very glad to hear from you! Thank you very much in advance!

Kind regards,
Steffen

Create a new thread and tell us what you are trying to accomplish.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card