Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850 HSRP instances

sadcock123
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

just wondering if anyone knows how many HSRP instances can be run on a Cisco 3850 WS-C3850-24T-E?

I know a Cisco 3750 can only run 32 instances and its documented, but the only document I can find on the Cisco 3850 is below, which mentions group numbers, but not a clear answer on the HSRP instances:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/release_notes/OL_30562_01.html

Any help would be grateful!

Regards

Steven

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

On the 3850 series the HSRP group is 0-255.

HTH

Thank you Reze.

Is that instances or group numbers?

Steven

Its group.

Not sure what you mean by instance.

Can you clarify?

Hello Reza,

if i create 32 HSRP groups and each group runs a HSRP instance, you cannot run anymore than 32 without the below error:-

ERROR: %Platform already has maximum FHRP groups configured

I believe this is a limitation on the 3750 based on hardware resources.

Find link below confirming the limitation on the 3750:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12-2_25_sed/configuration/guide/scg/swhsrp.html#wp1057154

I am struggling to find anything similar for the Cisco 3850.

Regards

Steven

I'm pretty sure they removed that limitation in 3850s different hardware architecture you can have 255 hsrp groups/instances and up to 4095 if you enable hsrp2

Cheers Mark.

TBH what I have read draws me to the fact that the 3850 will accept what is needed and we will run v2 for IPV6 support.

I just could not get a straight answer from my Cisco supplier or find a document that showed any limitation.

Again, like you I am sure it should be OK, so what I might actually do is send my Cisco supplier a configuration to apply on a 3850, to make sure it is supported before the purchase.

I will feed back here on the outcome.

Cheers

Steven

Did you actually get an answer to this question, I have seen somewhere that it's 64 for the 3850. I have tried to find out if there are any similar limitations to the new Catalyst 9300 switches and again I am getting told that they support 4096 or 255 dependant on version of HSRP. These are the group numbers that are available and not the number of configurable instances. Even Cisco GVE are telling me this which I do not believe but would be nice to confirm.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card