cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850 I/O Error on TFTP transmision

julioegb
Level 1
Level 1

I am updating a 3850 switch, the switch is currently running the image 03.07.03E and I want to update to the Denali version cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.03.06.SPA.bin.

When I try to transfer the image to the switch via tftp I have the following error I / O, that error gives me when transferring any file, also try a txt; when doing the transfer by USB I get the same error, that leads me to the conclusion that it can be some type of block with the flash memory:

error.png

I was looking in all the forums and I did not find any information about that error.

The space information in the memory is the following:

3458338816 bytes total (2491412480 bytes free)

Can anybody help me?

Julio Guzmán

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Leo

I opened the case in the TAC. Basically they told me not to restart the switch since the switch could not start again.

I tried to force the installation from the flash memory of the standby switch, the master switch, which was the one with the problem, showed me a writing error in the flash memory and it restarted.

After that the switch enter in Rommon mode, in Rommon mode I couldn't access the flash memory and boot again. Thanks to God the switch was under contract and I could request the replacement with an RMA. At this moment I already have the new switch running smoothly and updated.

If someone has the same problem, it is very likely that the error is due to a failure in the flash memory, so be careful with the actions that are done in the switch since if it reboots, it may be unusable.

Thanks to all who could read the posts and to you Leo for the help.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@julioegb wrote:

When I try to transfer the image to the switch via tftp I have the following error I / O, that error gives me when transferring any file, also try a txt; when doing the transfer by USB I get the same error 

Julio, 

The screenshot is saying that the TFTP server is disconnecting the TFTP session.   

I want to see the output from USB.  

NOTE:  Don't post screenshots because you're editing out important information.  

Thanks Leo.

The following is the output of copying the file from the USB:

Switch#show usbflash0-2:
-#- --length-- ----------date/time---------- path
2 537577577 Aug 14 2018 07:22:36.0000000000 +00:00 cat3k_caa—universalk9.16.03.06.SPA.bin
3467116544 bytes available (537395200 bytes used)

Switch#copy usbflash0-2: flash:
Source filename []? cat3k_caa—universalk9.16.03.06.SPA.bin
Destination filename [cat3k_caa—universalk9.16.03.06.SPA.bin]?
%Error opening flash:/cat3k_caa—universalk9.16.03.06.SPA.bin (I/O error)

The I/O error is present. On the side of the TFTP server everything looks good, the transmission is aborted by the client. I made the test from two TFTP servers on two different PCs, I had ping to the TFTP servers PC's.

I hope you can give me a hint as to what may be happening. Thanks for your time and help.

JG

Reboot the switch and try again.
If issue persist, raise a TAC Case. I've never seen this kind of behaviour before and this could be a bug.

Hi Leo

I opened the case in the TAC. Basically they told me not to restart the switch since the switch could not start again.

I tried to force the installation from the flash memory of the standby switch, the master switch, which was the one with the problem, showed me a writing error in the flash memory and it restarted.

After that the switch enter in Rommon mode, in Rommon mode I couldn't access the flash memory and boot again. Thanks to God the switch was under contract and I could request the replacement with an RMA. At this moment I already have the new switch running smoothly and updated.

If someone has the same problem, it is very likely that the error is due to a failure in the flash memory, so be careful with the actions that are done in the switch since if it reboots, it may be unusable.

Thanks to all who could read the posts and to you Leo for the help.

Thanks for the update, Julio.
Can I ask for one final information?
I want to know (and for others reading this thread) if this is a "single event" issue (or a wider impact) by looking at the serial number of the affected appliance. Can you please put the first SEVEN characters of the serial number (the last four characters are not important)?

Hi Leo. Unfortunately I can not give you this information, I do not think it's sensitive information, but the commitments I have forbid me from revealing any type of information.

Always thanks for the interest and help.

Regars,

JG

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card