Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850 Stack IOS Upgrade

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

i'll be upgrading the IOS on a 2-stack 3850 switch.

i saw some links/docs have mentioned transferring the new IOS image only to the master switch (switch-1).

do i need to transfer a copy of the new IOS from flash-1 to switch-2 flash-2?

or will the 'software install xx switch 1-2' handle this?

Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image Mode
------ ----- ----- ---------- ---------- ----
* 1 32 WS-C3850-24T 03.06.04.E cat3k_caa-universalk9 INSTALL
2 32 WS-C3850-24T 03.06.04.E cat3k_caa-universalk9 INSTALL

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Muhammad Awais Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You need to copy it on the master switch flash only and "'software install xx switch 1-2" will copy it to the remaining switch during installation.

Ref:

Upgrade

In order to begin the upgrade process, you must download the IOS-XE .bin file from the Cisco web site and place it in the flash of your active switch. The process that is used in order to copy the file to the switch is not covered in this document.

When you copy the .bin file to a single switch, the install process replicates the file to the other switches in the stack.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/117552-technote-cat3850-00.html

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Before transferring the IOS file, clean up: software clean force
After cleaning, copy the IOS to the stack MASTER.
Once the transfer is complete, issue the command "software install file flash-1:IOS_FILENAME.bin new force verb on-reboot".
Reboot.
After the reboot, clean up again:
For 3.X.X: software clean force
For 16.X.X: req plat soft pack clean switch all
WARNING: Always expect a microcode upgrade. This would take around 14 to 22 minutes.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Muhammad Awais Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You need to copy it on the master switch flash only and "'software install xx switch 1-2" will copy it to the remaining switch during installation.

Ref:

Upgrade

In order to begin the upgrade process, you must download the IOS-XE .bin file from the Cisco web site and place it in the flash of your active switch. The process that is used in order to copy the file to the switch is not covered in this document.

When you copy the .bin file to a single switch, the install process replicates the file to the other switches in the stack.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/117552-technote-cat3850-00.html

hi,

i already transferred a copy of the IOS to switch-2 flash-2.

do i need to delete it?

No need to delete.
The cleanup script will do it automatically.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Before transferring the IOS file, clean up: software clean force
After cleaning, copy the IOS to the stack MASTER.
Once the transfer is complete, issue the command "software install file flash-1:IOS_FILENAME.bin new force verb on-reboot".
Reboot.
After the reboot, clean up again:
For 3.X.X: software clean force
For 16.X.X: req plat soft pack clean switch all
WARNING: Always expect a microcode upgrade. This would take around 14 to 22 minutes.

Hi Leo, what is the difference between

software install file flash-1:IOS_FILENAME.bin new force verb on-reboot"

and

software install file flash-1:IOS_FILENAME.bin switch 1-2

@gsalcedo wrote:
software install file flash-1:IOS_FILENAME.bin switch 1-2

Unpack the package files into switch 1 and 2 only.  If the stack has three or more stack members, the packages will NOT be unpacked to them.  Automatically reboot after the files have been distributed.

@gsalcedo wrote:
software install file flash-1:IOS_FILENAME.bin new force verb on-reboot

Unpack the BIN files, from switch 1, to ALL switch members.  Forcefully create a new "packages.conf" file.  DO NOT REBOOT.

that was well explained, appreciate the quick reply. Got one more question what is the minimum free space need for upgrading?

Im upgrading from 16.9.3a to 16.12.9 but i only have 400MB of free space.

Ideally, clean up the flash and after every software updates.  

In the meantime, read this:  Cisco 3850: IOS-XE/Firmware Upgrade

johnny-kerbaj
Level 1
Level 1

hello John, 

Just a question sir

I have (two c3850-12s and one c3850-24T) configured as stack!! 

the question is which model and version should  select to upgrade it from cisco site ? the version installed already is: cat3k_caa-iosd-universalk9.SPA.152-3.E4.pkg

thank you in advance !!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card