Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850 Uplink Module Compatibility

salemmahara
Level 3
Level 3

I really hope a Cisco staff or support check this topic

hello everyone

First of all, let me say : Cisco is making me soooooo sad with incomplete information in data sheets and compatibility matrix !

We are going to buy 2 X c3850-24XU-E to stack them as core. We need to connect our core to server farm using 10G fiber so we need at least NM-4-10G uplink module on them. Our server switch also support 10G SFP+ uplink so there is no problem . We will use SFP-10G-SR between them ( You can not find anything about 3850-24XU in compatibility matrix . Again there is no information about 10G uplink modules separately . Ex: They list NM-8-10G only under 3850-24,12,16XS switches! This module is compatible with 24XU but why this is not exist in compatibility matrix??? Shame on your old and shabby compatibility matrix ! Maaaaaaaybe, this combination (3850-XU + NM-4-10G or NM-8-10G) is not compatible with any transceiver !!!!!!!!!!! . BTW, we guess when NM-4,8-10G must be compatible with SFP-10G-SR because it's a usual transceiver .

But, the most important part is here ! We have a 3750G-24TS in our Edge . We must connect it to core with 1G uplink(Highest speed on 3750G) . The must common 1G SFP transceivers are GLC-SX-MM and GLC-SX-MMD. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaagain there is no information about compatibility between uplink modules I mentioned above and 1G SFPs! You can only find that 3850 XS (24XS-16XS-32XS) with uplink module NM-8-10G support SX-MM and SX-MMD!

What about 3850-24XU + NM-8-10G and SX-MM or MMD? There is also no information about compatibility between NM-4-10G and 1G SFP module but lovely Cisco says: NM-4-10G support both SFP and SFP+ transceiver but nothing is listed in  matrix !

Brief about my scenario : Does Cisco 3850-24XU-E with uplink NM-4-10G or NM-8-10G support SFP-10G-SR and GLC-SX-MM or MMD together ? ( Imagine SFP in port 1,2 and SFP+ in port 7,8 )

Edit: No one there?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please note that Cisco Support Community is not staffed by Cisco support. It is a public community which both end users, partners and Cisco staff all contribute to give answers freely from their own time. If you have an urgent request, you should generally be able to get support from your reseller or Cisco TAC. TAC support requires a paid support contract.

To your question:

The support for Catalyst 3850-24XU-E is the same as for 3850-24XS which is listed in the compatibility guides for both 1 Gbps and 10 Gbps transceivers:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/products-device-support-tables-list.html

The NM-8-10G is supported in that platform and each port on it supports either 1 Gbps SFP or 10 Gbps SFP+ transceivers:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/hardware/installation/guide/b_c3850_hig/b_c3850_hig_chapter_011.html

That would include a mix of SFP-10G-SR, GLC-SX-MM and GLC-SX-MMD as you describe.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please note that Cisco Support Community is not staffed by Cisco support. It is a public community which both end users, partners and Cisco staff all contribute to give answers freely from their own time. If you have an urgent request, you should generally be able to get support from your reseller or Cisco TAC. TAC support requires a paid support contract.

To your question:

The support for Catalyst 3850-24XU-E is the same as for 3850-24XS which is listed in the compatibility guides for both 1 Gbps and 10 Gbps transceivers:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/products-device-support-tables-list.html

The NM-8-10G is supported in that platform and each port on it supports either 1 Gbps SFP or 10 Gbps SFP+ transceivers:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/hardware/installation/guide/b_c3850_hig/b_c3850_hig_chapter_011.html

That would include a mix of SFP-10G-SR, GLC-SX-MM and GLC-SX-MMD as you describe.

Thank you Marvin You're a 5 stars man :)

Is there any differences between multi gigabit switches and normal switches in features ( Disadvantages ) ? I mean , I picked 3850-24XU over 3850-24P because of its better forwarding rate and switching capacity and ..... .

I couldn't find any limitations in features and capabilities and I hope there is no lack of feature in multi gigabit switches .

You're welcome.

Some models (not yours) of the multi-gigabit 3850s are not stackable. That's the only limitation I know of.

Could you please elaborate or provide a link to stacking compatibility. We are looking to sell 2 x 24XU and 2 x 24T switches stacked together.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card