Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850-XS SVI traffic shaping

darren-carr
Level 2
Level 2

Hi community,

I have a query regarding traffic shaping when using the C3850-XS.

We have a 10Gbps connection between two locations. Between the two locations the connection will be configured as a 'trunk'. And we will be using Vlans/SVI's between the locations to separate (VRF) different traffic. We would like to set a maximum amount of the 10Gbps that two services can consume. I've built what I believe to be the appropriate ACL, class-map and policy-map that I will use and apply outbound on the SVI from the source to the location and something similar from the destination to the source that I hope will restrict the maximum amount of bandwidth each service can consume (please see attached). Unfortunately I don't have the hardware to test this yet, so was looking for some guidance as to whether this was the best way to achieve this or if I should be considering something else?

I've added the part of the topology I refer to. I'd just like to confirm if it is possible to shape traffic egressing an SVI. Obviously this is a logical interface and as such there is no defined bandwidth associated with it, so I'm not sure if this is even possible. But would like to understand what other options I have given I have to trunk between the two locations for shaping.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

kmelchior
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to do something very similar on a 9500. Did this work? If not what did you end up doing?

We managed to get this working by marking the traffic on the ingress interface, injecting a DSCP value into the IP header (using ACL, class-map and policy-map), then shaped outbound based on the applied DSCP value. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: