Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850-XS SVI traffic shaping

darren-carr
Level 2
Level 2

Hi community,

I have a query regarding traffic shaping when using the C3850-XS.

We have a 10Gbps connection between two locations. Between the two locations the connection will be configured as a 'trunk'. And we will be using Vlans/SVI's between the locations to separate (VRF) different traffic. We would like to set a maximum amount of the 10Gbps that two services can consume. I've built what I believe to be the appropriate ACL, class-map and policy-map that I will use and apply outbound on the SVI from the source to the location and something similar from the destination to the source that I hope will restrict the maximum amount of bandwidth each service can consume (please see attached). Unfortunately I don't have the hardware to test this yet, so was looking for some guidance as to whether this was the best way to achieve this or if I should be considering something else?

I've added the part of the topology I refer to. I'd just like to confirm if it is possible to shape traffic egressing an SVI. Obviously this is a logical interface and as such there is no defined bandwidth associated with it, so I'm not sure if this is even possible. But would like to understand what other options I have given I have to trunk between the two locations for shaping.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

kmelchior
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to do something very similar on a 9500. Did this work? If not what did you end up doing?

We managed to get this working by marking the traffic on the ingress interface, injecting a DSCP value into the IP header (using ACL, class-map and policy-map), then shaped outbound based on the applied DSCP value. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card