cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850

HUGH LANCASTER
Level 1
Level 1

Recently purchased 3850 12 port switch to replace a cisco 3750 12 port. This switch connects all the other buildings. Each building has a 3750 switch. I've configured the 3850 vlans, etc as the 3750 switch. Will there be a issue for the 3850 switch communicating with the 3750 switches? I have 3650 switches that will replace the 3750 switches in the other buildings. If possible, I would prefer to replace one switch at a time instead all at the same time. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

shaps
Level 3
Level 3
Hi
There will be no issues with putting in the switch above, as long as configs are the same as before. Any issues should be easy to overcome.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello,

it depends what you have configured on the 3750. The 3850 runs IOS XE, so not all commands and features (especially the QoS stuff) can be translated one-to-one. 

Check Table 1 in the attached document:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/qa_c67-722110.html

shaps
Level 3
Level 3
Hi
There will be no issues with putting in the switch above, as long as configs are the same as before. Any issues should be easy to overcome.

Thanks for the replies!  I matched the config from the 3750 to the 3850. Comparing the show run on both they now look similar. If I get the 3850 installed and communicating with 3750, then I can replace one switch as time.

Hello,

there are certain hardware incompatibilities as well, e.g. the uplink modules from the 3750-X are not compatible with the Cisco Catalyst 3850. Also the 3750 runs MLS QoS, while the 3850 runs MQC QoS, both of which are quite different.

Good point about the Qos, although I know cisco has a conversion chart some where with a like for like comparisons

Since we have no IP phones, is there any commands in the default configuration to that I need to disable? Thanks
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card