Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3850

DEV1389
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Team, 

I want to know difference between different IOS realses for Cisco 3850. Like we have Cisco 16.x.x(with Gibraltar/Fuji/Everest/Denali) or even Cisco IOS 3.3.x.  

Secondly how can I decide IOS upgrade path with the following info:-

Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image Mode
------ ----- ----- ---------- ---------- ----
* 1 34 WS-C3850-24XS 16.6.3 CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9 INSTALL

Regards

WAHEED

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
Fuji and Gibraltar are the enhanced releases usually that come with the latest features, they can be ED editions but there are MD releases too , most the versions of Denali and Everest are MD releases main deployments so they are heavily tested , the difference is just down to what they support and have and the release notes provide that

no matter what you chose you MUST read the release note off that software and make sure there is nothing in there thats going to cause issues , you can stay in the same train 16.3.9 Denali or jump to what Cisco are suggesting is the best release , Everest 16.6.6 is star version , we have tested it and scanned it for vulnerabilities , it has been stable for us so far on a lot of switches 38s and 9ks

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-6/release_notes/ol-16-6-3850.html

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Read the Release Notes carefully.
Right now, I'd recommend staying with 16.6.X than going to other firmware versions.

Hallo Leo, 

I want to implment Cisco Stackwise Virtual feature over WS-C3850-24XS and I am looking some stable version , as per my personal google searching i think 16.6.6 is most stable version. any suggestions. 

Regards

WAQ

Hi as i suggested 16.6.6 is stable , we scan the images with 3rd party vulnerability software 2 different tools its one of the most stable out currently for those switches we have it running months along with 16.6.5 was fine too  , stackwise is supported on it too

Hello All, 

Thanks to all for your feedback.  After upgradation of IOS do we need to activate licene again or not if yes, then may be we need to do it with Cisco Smart Account . Is there any difference for license activiation before and after lOS Upgrade. 

Regards

WAHEED

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: