Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4500 Chassis

cisco8887
Level 2
Level 2

All, 

We are looking at 4506 chassis with 8E supervisor. 

We have around 30 x 10Gb uplinks. According to Cisco datasheet it only supports 8 x 10Gb. is that right ?

Further below it lists it supports 96 uplinks 10Gb + 8 uplinks. What do they mean by uplinks?

We can't use 6800 due to cost

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-4500-series-switches/models-comparison.html

6 Replies 6

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

cisco8887,

Is this for aggregating access layer switches at 10G ?

Are you looking at a single Supervisor or dual Supervisors ?

Are you looking at a single chassis or dual chassis ?

Cheers,

Scott Hodgdon

Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

Enterprise Networking Group

Thanks Scott

Single Sup

Dual chassis in VSS in separete geographical areas

30x 10Gb from access switches to each Chassis so 60 x 10Gb connections

model is 4506

what power supply and line card would you go for?

cisco8887,

If I were you, I would look at the Catalyst 9500 Higher Performance model  9500-48Y4C: 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9500-series-switches/nb-06-cat9500-ser-data-sheet-cte-en.html 

It is non-blocking on all ports, can support 1 / 10 / 25G on all 48 downlink interfaces, 10/40/100G on the uplink interfaces, supports StackWise Virtual (same capability as VSS), has lower power consumption, lower rack profile and front-to-back airflow.

Cheers,

Scott Hodgdon

I am thinking of it however cost is an issue

do you know the cost difference?

on 4500 it is not really an option as maximum port density is 12 ports of 10Gb as blocking card on 4500

I understand that cost is an issue, however, what are you trying to achieve?

NOTE:  Not all chassis can support Sup8, hence, I am asking.

cisco8887,

The 9500 option should be cheaper, and we have a bundle SKU that includes 2 9500-48y4c switches + 4 40G uplink modules (can be used for StackWise Virtual as well) + 1 650W power supply in each switch + DNA Advantage 5-year license . I think the List price of this bundle will be at or below the list price of just 3 of the 12-port 10G modules for the 4506. The bundle SKU is C9500-48Y4C-A-BUN, so please work with a Cisco Partner on pricing. Caveat: I am not in sales, so pricing is not exactly my thing :-) .

Cheers,

Scott Hodgdon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card