Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4500x - Issue with 10GB WAN

Marc0
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am looking for some advise and assitance please. Trying to get 2 x 4500x connected with 10GB WAN p2p circuit using SFP-10G-LR, to create an extended LAN and when connected im getting speed rates of best at 500mb. Have set the mtu to 9170 on the interfaces as well VLAN but this hasnt helped.

Help please

7 Replies 7

Sergey Lisitsin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Marc0,

How do you test your bandwidth? If you are doing something like file transfer to/from your workstation, it is possible that your disk system is the bottleneck and you won't achieve any higher bandwidth. You need to test with someting like iPerf or file transfer with two stations that use fast SSD disks, so that they have at least transfer speeds matching the network speed or better.

You should test using Iperf or an actual line tester off the ISP ,what did the ISP sign off there test with on the p2p circuit for throughput when they brought it live ?

Our ISP stated they tested the circuit and its signed off with a bandwidth rate of 9.98 GB.

However this was when they ran there tests.

Struggling at the moment to get them to give me clear answers but wondering if there is anything i can do/check to ensure I am getting the correct speeds. I would expect a minimum download rate of 1gbps

Our ISP stated they tested the circuit and its signed off with a bandwidth rate of 9.98 GB.

However this was when they ran there tests

All Major ISPs have the equipment to test the circuit and provide you the data you need.  That said, when they test, they only test between their own 2 devices on the circuit and not the type test we usually do with a laptop, pc, etc.. They will not guarantee the same speed as anything sitting behind their devices. 

HTH

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
10G WAN link? Single flow cannot exceed 500 mb? You might be bumping into "classical" LFN (long fat network) transfer rate performance issues.

I hope thats not the case, as im expecting far more than throughout than that. Hope to get somewhere soon with this

If it is, generally increasing the receiving host's RWIN mitigates the issue.

Years ago, had a trans-Atlantic DS3 which bulk data transfers couldn't seem to take advantage of. Increasing the size of the receiving Windows' server RWIN, from its default, to 64KB, increased transfer rate by 5x.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card