Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Views
Helpful
Replies
Enthusiast

Cisco 4500x VSS

So I have been reconfiguring a 4500x pair into VSS today and I have seen some configurations where the virtual link 1 and 2 port channels are shared between ports on each switch. 

So port 1 on sw 1 and port 1 on sw 2 is part of a port-channel assigned to virtual link 1 

and port 2 on sw 1 and port 2 on sw 2 is part of port-channel assigned to virtual link 2

I configure it so that two ports on each switch belong to same port-channel? Both ways seem to be working, but which is the correct way?

4 REPLIES 4
VIP Advisor

Re: Cisco 4500x VSS

As per cisco recomendation config - Switch 1 have a Virtual link 1, Switch 2 have a Virtual Link 2

BB
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***
VIP Advisor

Hello

That seems to be correct-

Example:
SW1
switch virtual domain 12
switch 1
exit

interface range x/x x
channel-group 10 mode on

interface port-channel 10
switchport
switch virtual link 1
no shutdown
exit

SW2
switch virtual domain 12
switch 2
exit

interface range x/x x
channel-group 10 mode on

interface port-channel 10
switchport
switch virtual link 2
no shutdown
exit

kind regards
Paul

Please rate and mark posts accordingly if you have found any of the information provided useful.
It will hopefully assist others with similar issues in the future
Highlighted
Enthusiast

i wonder why it works the other way and what issues it would have in a failed scenario....
VIP Expert

Is is best practice to use a different Portchannel id per switch but it should not make a difference is you use the same id as Portchannel group numbers are locally significant.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/VSS30dg/campusVSS_DG/VSS-dg_appa-configs.html

HTH

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards