cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4503E bfd (Bidirectional Forwarding Detection) support.

jvoorend
Level 1
Level 1

FYI.

I was planning to implement a bfd solution on a 4503-E with a Sup 7L-E running cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.04.02.SG.151-2.SG2.bin under a number of layer 3 svi interfaces, but have hit an issue in that under the svi interface I have the option to enter th "ip ospf bfd" command.

However there are no other bfd commands under the svi interface and also no global bfd commands such as sh bfd neighbours.

Documentation I've read indcates that it is supported.

Question is - is bfd suppported with the above sup / image ?

What's required to get it working on this switch ?

Kind Regards

6 Replies 6

Hi

Try to use this tool in order to see if your image supports BFD. What routing protocol are you going to use with BFD?

Also configure the following command before:

conf t

ip cef
ip routing 

They are prerequisites to use BFD

http://cfn.cloudapps.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/fs_bfd.html#wp1043332

Hope this comment is useful   :-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Many thanks for the reply.

Both ip cef and ip routing are enabled and I will be using BFD with OSPF.

Many thanks.

You are welcome :-)

Try this config:

conf t

router ospf 1
bfd all-interfaces

or

interface f1/0/1
no switchport
ip ospf bfd
bfd interval 250 min_rx 250 multiplier 3

To use a port as Layer 3 instead SVI. It should fix the inconvenience. 

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Thanks for that.

Have already tried what you have suggested re the bfd all-interfaces under the routing process.

Have also tried the configs under a physical port and the only options are to enable ip ospf bfd. There are no other options to configure the bfd timers.

Many Thanks

mmm 

try to change the SDM template to routing

I am not sure if your device is on production right now, this command will be focusing the resources to routing process. If the change will not affect operations or the device is not connected to your infrastructure you could use it otherwise Don't execute that. 

previously you can check the template used:

show sdm prefer

conf t
 sdm prefer routing 

in order to take effect the devices must be reloaded. 

Also you can open a ticket with the Cisco TAC.

Many thanks for your help.

The sdm command doesn't actually appear to be present, so will open a call with Cisco TAC

Regards

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card