Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4506 to Dell 8024F 10Gig...

Venture101
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We currently intend as a stop gap to purchase some Dell 8024F 10Gig Switches to supply 10Gig operability to our newly aquired NetApp.

Can anyone confirm for me the following:

1. Are there any know reasons not to mix the 2 technologies? Any particular gotchas we should look for?

2. I assume we will need to purchase a Dell SFP+ for the Dell Switch and a Cisco SFP+ in the 4506. Will there be any support issues if we use the Dell SFP? Additionally will Cisco even support us if we have a Dell SFP at one end of the link and not a Cisco?

Thanks!

Ewan

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. Are there any know reasons not to mix the 2 technologies? Any particular gotchas we should look for?

Wouldn't make any difference.  Unless you are using Sup7, don't bother going to 10Gb because Sup6 and lower can't really push that much.

2. I assume we will need to purchase a Dell SFP+ for the Dell Switch and a Cisco SFP+ in the 4506. Will there be any support issues if we use the Dell SFP? Additionally will Cisco even support us if we have a Dell SFP at one end of the link and not a Cisco?

You can't use any 3rd party SFP/SFP+ on a Cisco switch.  It'll go into error-disable.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card