Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4506E Switch Power Supply Upgrade

CSCO10675262_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to check if it may be possible to hot-upgrade/swap the 4506E power supplies? Based on the configuraton guide; I have summarized the steps as follows:

1. Switch has 2 existing power supplies to be upgraded

2. Remove right side/bay 2 power supply and install new power supply

3. At this point; the new power supply will be in err-disabled due to different power supplies on the switch

4. Remove the left side power supply and install new power supply

For item 4; during the removal of the old power supply in bay 1/left side and installation of the new power supply; I am wondering if the switch would lose power even though the new power supply is installed in bay 2?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The power supplies are hot-swappable. So you will not need to power down the switch to replace or upgrade the power supplies in redundant mode. You can replace one of them, and the switch will continue to run on the original power supply until it is removed, after which the upgraded one will take over.

With dual power supplies running in combined mode, some chassis slots may lose power during an upgrade or power supply replacement.

You can find more information at the links below

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/hardware/catalyst4500e/installation/guide/04replac.html#wp1015089

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card