cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4507 to HP 5400 VL

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

I have these two switches that i am trying to interconnect with 10gig uplinks. The 4507 has a SUP6-L-E that has two X2 slots. I have the OneX converter put in these slots which gives me the capability to put one SFP+ gbic in it. We have the HP 5400VL with a four port 10gig card as well. To interconnect the two, we have a HP direct attached cable with SFP+ on either ends. When this cable is inserted into the Cisco it gives the following error.

%C4K_GLMMAN-3-NONSFPPLUSINONEXCONVERTERHOLE: Non-SFP+ inserted in port Te3/2 ( 1 ), which is for 10G SFP+ OneX Converter

I have tried reseating the SFP+ modules with no luck. As per a lot of vendors and documentations i can read, the direct attached cable should work on multi vendor switches (unlike on Cisco switches, if you were to buy a third party vendor SFP, it will shutdown the port).

Any thoughts?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
6 Replies 6

nkarpysh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Basicaly there is a compatibility matrix of SFPs to use with particular modules:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6974.html#wp55804

There is not guarantee that SFP not in the list will be working fine. In most cases not.

Hope this helps,

Nik.

HTH,
Niko

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So this 3rd party SFP+ plugged into the Sup6LE, did it error-disable the port?

It doesnt error disable but it shows down/down.

So i tried usinga Cisco SFP+ twinax cable and the Cisco side shows fine but HP wont recognize it..

So looks like i have to get separate optics (SFP+ for Cisco, SFP+ for HP and use a LC to LC cable between the two.)

i have also tried following commands on the Cisco (while using the HP SFP+ direct attached cable)...but no luck

service unsupported-transceiver

no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

errdisable recovery cause gbic-invalid

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Looks like you need Cisco-branded SFP+ into the Cisco appliance and HP-branded SFP+ into the HP.

Out of curiousity, why use twinax when you can use multi-mode fibre?

The switches are right next to each other and distance is not an issue. Also the direct attached cables have the SFPs built into them. These cables are much cheaper than buying separate optics and cable.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Ahhhh ... I see. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card