Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5508 Etherchannel to Nortel

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,         

If the ports on a 5508 can only perform etherchannel(no LACP or PAGP), only on mode, how does a 5508 create a bundle with a nortel switch? Is it possible?

Thanks, Pat.

1 Reply 1

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Patrick,

When a 5500 series controller, 4404 controller, or WiSM controller  module LAG port is connected to a Catalyst 3750G or a 6500 or 7600  channel group employing load balancing, note the following:

LAG requires the Etherchannel to be configured for the "on" mode on both the controller and the Catalyst switch.

Once  the Etherchannel is configured as "on" at both ends of the link, it  does not matter if the Catalyst switch is configured for either Link  Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) or Cisco proprietary Port  Aggregation Protocol (PAgP) because no channel negotiation is done  between the controller and the switch. Additionally, LACP and PAgP are  not supported on the controller.

As for the Nortel configuration side, it has to correspond to the Cisco's side ON port-channel mode (no negotiation). I am not sure what is the default for them, you have to check Nortel's manual. Quick search gave me that doc and configuration but I am not an expert on Nortel:

http://www.m86security.com/KB/KnowledgebaseArticle13236.aspx

Nortel:   

/cfg/l2/trunk 1

ena

add Ext1

add Ext2

PS: don't forget that when you enable LAG or make any changes to the LAG configuration, you must immediately reboot the controller.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card