cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6506 Boots into ROMMON after reboot

costa144342
Level 1
Level 1

We've been having a lot of power outages here lately and turns out our UPS is giving out so the switch has been going offline constantly. I've been having to run the boot bootflash: command to get it to load the IOS image. The configuration value seems to be how it should be at 0x2102 but I did see that there is something wrong with module 3. Here is what show log shows. Could this be causing the issue?

6506 log.PNG

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First i would advice to eject the module 3, wait for 5min, re-insert back and test it.

Also look the  bootflash for diagnosis files, as suggested

show diagnostiic results module 3

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I've done that. Left the module out for quite a while and then re-insert it. That command gives me nothing as shown here.module 3.PNG

Ok post below output :

#show diagnostic mod 3

#show version

#show moduie

#show environment status

#dir  sup-bootflash: ( to see any crash information or diagnosis information stored)

BB

show mod & show versionshow mod & show versionshow moduleshow moduleshow environment status1show environment status1show environment statusshow environment statusdir sup bootflashdir sup bootflash

We don't need to use module 3 if that's what's causing the issues. Is there any way to disable it? And would that help?

If you do not like to use Module 3, and you moved related to connection to other blades, remove the Module and you good?

I would have suggested plugging another slot, but looks like you are fully populated.

Looks to me it failed until we read the diagnosis logs, Do you have the smartnet, raise a TAC for replacement.

BB

I had tried pulling out the module partially and left it like that and same issue still happened. Does it need to be completely removed?

How could I provide the diagnostics file

I found something not sure if this might be it. So my bootvariable is set to bootflash: s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXJ1.bin, 1 but I see no IOS image in bootflash:

However, sup-bootflash has the s72033-ipservices_wan-mz.122-33.SXJ.bin ios image which is what I've been booting in ROMMON mode with the boot bootflash: s72033-ipservices_wan-mz.122-33.SXJ.bin command. Am I on to something here or no?

Apologies i was in the impression you already fixed the boot issue, and you looking to diagnosis the issue with Module 3.

Still, the confusing question here, the output you posted from what device? Do you have # and booted?

Not sure is this type of boot variable? s72033-adventerprisek9_wan-mz.122-33.SXJ1.bin ( there is 1 here ?)

The image you mentioned does not have 1 - s72033-ipservices_wan-mz.122-33.SXJ.bin, If there is no image, you can copy and correct the boot variable and save and reload.

connect console post complete boot, the one not working (so no confusion here ?)

BB

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Line card in slot 3 is dead. 

And SXJ is not yet a stable release.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card