CISCO 6509 VLANS

par13
Level 1
Level 1

I have created three vlans

VLAN 100

VLAN 200

VLAN 300

The cisco 3550 are configure with each respective vlan 100, 200, and 300.

As soon as I plug the switch on the fiber module, I notices the switch been added to the proper VLAN. I have execute the command sh vlan 100, and it shows the switches configure for vlan 100. The same thing for vlan 200 and 300.

However, I notices some switches were added to the wrong vlans. Is there a command or configuration that I am doing that is causing this issue?

Thanks

97 Replies 97

I think you mean DIA, but I am not sure if this feature is available in hybrid mode.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/dynarp.html

Regards,

jerry

Hi Jerry,

When setting the vpn server, and the switches to become clients, do I still need to specify on the switches which ports belong to vlan 300,400, etc..?

Thanks

Hi Pedro,

What do you mean by using switches as clients of the VPN servers? I am not aware of any features like that.

Regards,

jerry

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I see, you mean if you use VTP server and client mode. Of course, VTP server and client mode will only affect the creation of VLAN's, where you can only create the VLAN's in the server(s) and it will populate all the VLAN's to the client via trunk ports. Ports still need be assigned to a VLAN for its connected host. Otherwise, all the ports will be on VLAN 1 (default).

HTH,

jerry

Do you know if HP procurve can participate on VTP?

I don't think so, since VTP is Cisco proprietary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLAN_Trunking_Protocol

Regards,

jerry

jerry,

I have a little dilema. I need to enable multicast on a port and turn off filters.

I don't know if this is done at the vlan or at a specific port.

Either way, can you teach me?

Thanks

ZeeAlex
Level 1
Level 1

That is the native VLAN for the trunk port, default is VLAN 1. You can change it by using set trunk x/x 100 where x/x is your port and 100 is your VLAN number. You have to change both side of the trunk to match, otherwise the switches will complain about native VLAN mismatch. You have to be careful when you are changing this, native VLAN mismatch can cause a spanning tree loop.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card