Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6880IA to Cisco 6800 ?

Network Pro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Do we need dual links (fex) to each core for Cisco IA switches (Cisco 6880) connecting to Cisco 6800 ? Also on reading Cisco website says VSS is needed between Cisco 6800 - is this correct ?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do we need dual links (fex) to each core for Cisco IA switches (Cisco 6880) connecting to Cisco 6800 ?

Answer:- NO It would work with single link, but again its recommended to use dual link.

b-

Also on reading Cisco website says VSS is needed between Cisco 6800 - is this correct ?

Answer:-It is recommended to have two switches (a pair of Cisco Catalyst 6500-E or C6807-XL or C6880-X or C6840-X switches) configured in VSS mode as your Instant Access parent for high-availability networking. However, a single Cisco Catalyst 6500-E or 6807-XL with Supervisor 2T or 6880-X or 6840-X can be used as Instant Access parent when configured in VSS mode (without physical redundancy of the second switch). Instant Access technology uses VSS software code infrastructure to treat remote Instant Access clients as remote line cards, hence the need to enable VSS mode in a single switch acting as Instant Access parent.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

**Please do not forget to rate if this info is helpfull**

1. We do have a pair but at the moment due to cabling limitation we could use only 1 Cisco 6880. Now with this single 6880 would i be able to use 6800IA switch using fex configuration ?

2. what is the config to dual home Cisco IA switch  to both cores ? (for future use)

I would like to work with this for a temporary time until my cabling are in place so its temp setup. no need to worry about resilience at this time

1. We do have a pair but at the moment due to cabling limitation we could use only 1 Cisco 6880. Now with this single 6880 would i be able to use 6800IA switch using fex configuration ?

Answer:- Yes you can use this setup but as I said still you have to configure VSS commands on this box thought it is still a single box you need VSS command to have the 6800IA working.

Restrictions for Instant Access
The IA parent must operate in VSS mode.

Note • You can enable VSS mode on a single chassis to support IA clients.
• The VSS Quad-Sup SSO (VS4O) feature is supported with IA clients from Release 15.1(2)SY2.

2. what is the config to dual home Cisco IA switch  to both cores ? (for future use)

Answer:- Please find the procedure below on configuration:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/15-1SY/config_guide/sup2T/15_1_sy_swcg_2T/instant_access.pdf

HTH

Regards

Inayath

**Please do not forget to rate if this info is helpfull**

Hi,

You can only connect the IA-Client to one active IA-Parent (One 6880 alone or 2 x 6880 as VSS pair).

You can use one, two or more links to connect Client and Parent.

So if cabling is a problem to create VSS pair or to connect IA-Client to Parent?

Ciao

JC

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello ,

Addition to Inayathaulla, You can have a look on the best practice recommendation by cisco.

VSS Best recommended configuration document.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card