Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7970 phone on Asterisk

bruc3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Apologies first as I am using a not using Cisco Call Manager or Cisco DHCP server.

I have got a Cisco 7970 phone I am trying to setup on Asterisk freepbx. Currently got Opnsense DHCP server connected to a Cisco 3750 switch and the 7970 phone connected to same switch.

Just to complicate things a bit, both my Opnsense server and Asterisk servers are virtual sitting on same physical box. Opnsense is also used as my NAT firewall to connect to the internet. Asterisk server connects to Opnsense which is its Default GW (and is Default GW for entire network).

Asterisk Server IP is 10.0.50.10. My TFTP server is install on this same box /tftpboot folder with SEP and firmware files inside.

Opnsense DHCP server is connected to port FastEthernet1/0/1

Data scope: 10.0.10.0/24 - VLAN 10

Voice scope: 10.0.50.0/24 - VLAN 50

Connect phone to port interface FastEthernet1/0/2

For some weird reason, the phone just sits at upgrading...for ever and does nothing. I checked DHCP logs, and the phone sends DHCPDiscover and DHCP server sends DHCPoffer from correct IP scope 10.0.50.0 but it stops there and continuously loops from Discover to Offer.

Here is parts of my config:

interface Vlan10
ip address 10.0.10.2 255.255.255.0
!
interface Vlan50
description Voice
ip address 10.0.50.2 255.255.255.0

interface FastEthernet1/0/1
switchport access vlan 10
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 50
!
interface FastEthernet1/0/2
switchport access vlan 10
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 50
spanning-tree portfast

I thought it was a routing issue causing the DORA loop, but I tried connecting a laptop to the same port was able to get DHCP range 10.0.50.0 address by changing config to below:

switchport access vlan 50
switchport mode access
spanning-tree portfast

So what do you think the issue is and do you have any suggestions?

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for all the help so far guys, I am starting to make some progress and feeling really happy about it so far.

So now I managed to get DHCP working properly from Opnsense box, option 150 was incorrect which caused the DHCPoffer loop I had earlier.

In case someone comes across this problem, before I used the "Additional options" section which does not work:

Option:    150      text       10.0.50.10

You actually simply need to use the provided "TFTP server" setting and just put your TFTP IP address i.e. 10.0.50.10.

Now the phone gets an IP address from correct VLAN and I can see it trying to download the "term75.default" file, unfortunately it seems to hang during the download at 0K and just restarts after a while then tries to download the same file again and restart loops again.

I tested to copy the same term75.default file from the Cisco switch to flash dir and it worked, so not sure why the phone cant download the same file. 

View solution in original post

@bruc3 wrote:

Now the phone gets an IP address from correct VLAN and I can see it trying to download the "term75.default" file, unfortunately it seems to hang during the download at 0kb and just restarts after a while then tries to download the same file again and restart loops again.

"term75.default" is a file meant for the 7975 phone. 

"term70.default" is a file meant for the 7970 phone. 

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

@bruc3 wrote:

Now the phone gets an IP address from correct VLAN and I can see it trying to download the "term75.default" file, unfortunately it seems to hang during the download at 0kb and just restarts after a while then tries to download the same file again and restart loops again.

"term75.default" is a file meant for the 7975 phone. 

"term70.default" is a file meant for the 7970 phone. 

Ahhh ok, thats pretty embarassing. Looks like all my firmware files are for the 7975 phone then. I will see if I can download the correct files and try again. Thanks for spotting that.

Try removing the load information from the config file and see if the phone connects

Good to know and glad finally it was working, You can mark as many as solution, so it will be useful for the community members to refer in the Future.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

24 Replies 24

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"phone just sits at upgrading"   <-- in this stage do you see the Phone got DHCP IP address, yes then it try to provisioning,(i am guessting)

Since you tested the below config with PC, have you tested same with Phone ?

switchport mode access
spanning-tree portfast

Do you have any DHCP Options set in the DHCP for Voice VLAN

May be below guide help you to setup cisco phone with asterisk.

https://www.voicenet.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Asterisk-With-Cisco-IP-Phones.pdf

BB

Double post.

@balaji.bandi wrote:

"phone just sits at upgrading"   <-- in this stage do you see the Phone got DHCP IP address, yes then it try to provisioning,(i am guessting)

Since you tested the below config with PC, have you tested same with Phone ?

switchport mode access
spanning-tree portfast

Do you have any DHCP Options set in the DHCP for Voice VLAN

May be below guide help you to setup cisco phone with asterisk.

https://www.voicenet.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Asterisk-With-Cisco-IP-Phones.pdf

The phone does not get an IP as evident from DHCP server logs as it gets a DHCPOffer but it never sends back DHCPRequest so means it does not get an IP address.

Yes, I have tested the same "switchport access vlan 50" config on the phone and it still never gets an IP address and does the DHCPdiscover/offer loop again.

For the DHCP server, I have option 150 set to point to my Asterisk server, but guess it won't get to this stage since the phone is not even getting an IP addres from DHCP yet.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@bruc3 wrote:

(I have a 7970 at home connected to my Asterisk server.)

Where is DHCP option 150 pointed to? 

Where is your SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml file? 

Where are the firmware files?

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

@bruc3 wrote:

(I have a 7970 at home connected to my Asterisk server.)

Where is DHCP option 150 pointed to? 

Where is your SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml file? 

Where are the firmware files?

DHCP option 150 is set to point to my Asterisk server IP 10.0.50.10.

My SEP..xml and firmware files are both in the /tftpboot folder which is on the TFTP server installed on the Asterisk server also.

Just to complicate things a bit, both my Opnsense server and Asterisk servers are virtual. Opnsense is also used as my NAT firewall to connect to the internet. Asterisk server connects to Opnsense which is its Default GW (and is Default GW for entire network).

Sorry, I have updated these details to my OP now. Didn't want to include it before as didn't want post to get too long and complicated.

jurczak
Level 1
Level 1
Can you try resetting the phone to factory defaults? Also the phone is configured for DHCP?

I have reset phone to factory defaults.

I have just tried disabling my Opnsense DHCP server and enabled DHCP on the Cisco switch instead. The phone is now getting DHCP as I can confirm it from "show ip dhcp binding", however the phone is rebooting loop now with "error" at upgrade screen.

So, issue with the phone working with Opnsense DHCP for some reason (maybe routing issue).

How will I confirm that the phone is connecting to TFTP server? I can ping the Cisco phone, but cannot access settings to see if its correctly pointed to TFTP server.

What is the ip dhcp pool? Have you set the option for the tftp?

Below is my config for DHCP:

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.0.10.0 10.0.10.99
ip dhcp excluded-address 10.0.50.0 10.0.50.99
!
ip dhcp pool vlan
!
ip dhcp pool vlan10
network 10.0.10.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 10.0.10.1
dns-server 8.8.8.8
option 150 ip 10.0.50.10
!
ip dhcp pool vlan50
network 10.0.50.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 10.0.50.1
dns-server 8.8.8.8
option 150 ip 10.0.50.10

Can you check with normal tftp client if you can download the xml from your tftp server?

1. Is the tftp server running?
2. Is there any firewall on asterisk?
3. Can you look at the logs of the tftp server to see if it is communicating, maybe the file name is different

Thanks for this, I checked and TFTP server was running but found out my firewall was blocking access to it. I have just allowed firewall traffic to TFTP server.

I am glad it worked. If you could put the above as a solution since it summarizes all or most of the problems that you had. This will help the other members find the solution faster

To Test TFTP working or not.

From your Switch :

copy running-config to tftp://    (see is that traferring.)

if above step working, :

Try copy xml file from tftp to cisco flash and later delete

copy tftp://ip/phone.xml flahsh:/   <--change the name and where you want to store. This confirms all working.

BB

I couldn't copy to the TFTP server (Permission denied), but was successfully able to get a file from TFTP server from the cisco switch. I think thats really all I need since the phone only needs to get files from TFTP. Thanks for this suggestion, it helped me determine TFTP is working.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: