cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 861W private vlan

bbtMichaelR
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running into a road block on getting a private vlan set up for my 861W.  I'm using IOS commands only, though I think the person who originally configured it used the CCP gui. WAN interface is connected to ISP.  WLAN interface is already set up and properly NATed / functioning to get internet access.  What I would like to do, is to set up one of the LAN (FastEth0-3) ports to have access to our private network, so that I can set up some monitoring of the device.

I've tried setting up a vlan with an IP address on the private subnet, and adding FastEthernet0 to that vlan, and I can't even ping out from the router to devices on the same subnet.

The cisco switch on the private side does see the mac address attached to fa0 on the 861.

I'm lost and don't know what to try next.  Attached is a slightly obscured version of my config.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hello

if i'm reading this right:

the router interface connecting to the switch is an access port

the switch interface connecting to the router is also an access port plus it is configured for a voice vlan

try removing the voive vlan command from the switch interface

hth

andy

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hi,

How is your cisco switch configured? can you post running of switch as well as sh cdp nei on router and sh mac- dynamic on switch.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

first:  Sorry if this double posts - I tried using the email reply method, and it doesn't appear to have gone through.

CDP is disabled on the router

Switch1#sh mac address-table dynamic | inc Gi0/10

111    0019.b966.ab4b    DYNAMIC     Gi0/10   (this is a client that is currently attached down there. Router is currently disconnected, as I don't want clients on that vlan to accidentally get DHCP from the wireless device if it loses power (not saving my config, so reload goes back to last config - LAN ports on same vlan as wireless)

Switch1#sh run int gi0/10

interface GigabitEthernet0/10

switchport access vlan 111

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 195

end

Hi,

Is your interface Vlan111 up? ---> sh ip int br | in Vlan

is the mac address 0019.b966.ab4b in arp cache of router? ---> sh ip arp

Regards.

alain.

yes, the interface is up.

arp entry for client (xxxxxxxxAB4B) does not exist on router

### Duplicate POST###

Sh cdp nei - shows the following:  (from 861)

Fas 0              175          S I      WS-C3560G Gig 0/10

Can you do a no shut on int vlan 111 and try to  ping again.

Regards.

Alain.

still nothing

xxx(config)#int vlan 111

xxx(config-if)#no shut

xxx(config-if)#do ping 10.111.10.100

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.111.10.100, timeout is 2 seconds:

Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

Hi,

Can you explain why the router is seeing g0/10  on f0 and at the same time in the switch the address on this port corresponds to a Dell machine?

Can you post the running config from switch and a diagram of your topology?

Regards.

Alain.

There is a linksys switch with a desktop, laptop, and the wireless router, and that switch is plugged into Gi0/10 on the access switch. (see attached wlan-diagram)

I do appreciate you trying to help me with this.  If you could explain what you want to see from the access / core switch running config, I can easily get that, but I don't want to post my entire running-config for those.  My assumption first is that --- Because I have the router, and at least one client that are on the same physical switch (linksys), and since the router interface is in access mode, AND all devices have the same network address / subnet mask, I should be able to communicate with those devices directly.  ---Is this an inaccurate assumption?

Hi,

all machines in VLAN 111 should communicate with int Vlan 111 indeed without problem.

Have you tried pinging from the 2 hosts( the Dell and the other one) to the int Vlan111?

clear arp cache before doing it then after look at arp cache and look for mac address of 861W

Regards.

Alain.

I get no ping response, and the only item that shows in the arp cache afterwards, is the default gateway 10.111.10.100

Are the ports  of the hosts on linksys  in VLAN111?

Regards.

Alain.

the linksys isn't managed at all, so I would say that they are not configured individually to be on vlan 111.  The 2 clients (other than the 861W) that are on that linksys can however communicate with other devices on vlan111 on the 3550.

Gi0/10 on the 3550 is set for vlan111

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card