Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 870 / SDM from scratch

mdujardin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks,

I just re-install the IOS on my router (via XMODEM) - I now want to put SDM back on the box, but I can't connect to the router with the SDM installer? I can connect via HTTP/HTTPS to the router via it's default IP address (although the page it displays is just basic info) but when I try and connect via SDM installer it's not connecting?

What do I need to do?

Cheers,

M

39 Replies 39

Never used Solarwinds tftp but here is one that has always worked for me. Have to zip it as Cisco site will not allow uploads of .exe files.

Jon

OK, silly question but how do I get that link to work?

Click on the middle icon - the one with the down arrow. This will allow you to download the winzip file. Unzip it and then double-click on tftpd32.exe.

Jon

OK, getting there Jon, image started to copy via TFTP and then it stopped :(

TFTP flash copy: Invalid file header, copy terminated.

Reason: Wrong target platform OR corrupt file.

It can't be corrupt surely? I used it before and it was fine :-/

M

M

Need to go to bed now :). I'll pick this up tomorrow morning or hopefully someone else can step in.

If you get the stage where you have the router up and running with your image make sure you set the configuration register before you reload it.

Jon

OK, gonna go to bed as well. Late now and early start tomorrow. Thanks for the help Jon, hopefully we can have another go tomorrow.

M

Hi Jon,

Hope you had a good day at work mate! I hope we can get this problem fixed today (I owe you a beer). I'm trying to do the xmodem upload now but I get "Image size exceeds free flash space" - I checked flash and there is 23M free and my image is 21M. Any ideas?

Cheers,

M

Making a little progress. I've upgraded ROMMOM to the latest version. I'm now copying the latest IOS using XMODEM. I used this command:-

XMODEM -R

What next?

Have you managed to copy an image via Xmodem or are you still getting an error ?

If you only have 21M free sounds like you still have an image in flash. How big is your advanced services image ?

Jon

Sorry to interrupt here but what size of flash do you have? The IOS you're trying to load (12.4(20)T1) is large. Once you have it installed you will not be able to install SDM on the router if you only have 24MB flash. Even 28MB will be tight. Of course you'll still be able to run SDM from a PC.

You might want to consider installing a smaller footprint IOS such as 12.4(15)T7 if you don't need any of the new features of 12.4(20)T.

Hi Jon,

No, there were no other images in FLASH. It's copying up now (20 mins to go) had to use XMODEM again (kinda slow but it works).

To KMCCOURT it's no interruption, your input is appreciated. I had it running with 12.4 and SDM originally so it does fit (that was the default when I received the unit) - unfortunately I reset the unit and now we are having this fun and games :)

M

M

Okay shout when it is done :)

kmccourt - no problem, please feel free to help out, that's the beauty of NetPro.

Jon

But are you sure it was running with 12.4(20)T1? - that was only released a couple of days ago ;)

ok so I'm now in to the IOS. How can I copy over that IOS to flash?

"But are you sure it was running with 12.4(20)T1? - that was only released a couple of days ago ;) "

Yep, I'm sure, 2 days ago I installed it myself :) (with the help of Jon ;))

M

What is the output of a "sh flash"

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: